Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by sdrobson View Post
    Read entire thread with great interest. Also have Thames lightermen on my father's side - first was from Suffolk, apprenticed and lived in Woolwich. His son, on gaining his freedom (to work on the river) moved to Walthamstow from 1841 census onwards. Did this move enable the son (and his sons) to work on the River Lea? The censuses describe them as "lightermen". Does anyone know of any records relating to the River Lea - i.e. the type of goods carried and the bargemen involved?

Well if you are interested in history, it goes back to Tudor times. The Guildhall Library seems to hold some information.
    https://www.leeandstort.co.uk/Fairclo...iver%20Lea.pdf

fedup

Thanks for that, Mutley. That's certainly a help.

fedup

The 1851 census ref for this is HO107; Piece: 1503; Folio: 165; Page: 20. It shows head of house John ISZAD, residence 13 Retreat Place, Hackney, occupation lodging house and beer shop.

Thanks for all help on this.
    Last edited by Jan1954; 06-04-2012 at 1:22 PM. Reason: GSU roll number deleted as it is copyright

fedup

I was afraid you'd say that! Have now provided the census ref so the page can be viewed. Would appreciate opinions. Interestingly in the 1841 census he can be found at Nr Lea Bridge, Hackney, Middlesex, John Iszard age 50, bargeman. Pretty sure it shows him born in County, unless anyone thinks different. The page is a bit faded. It's at HO107; Piece: 698; Book: 10; Civil Parish: St John Hackney; County: Middlesex; Enumeration District: 20; Folio: 29; Page: 14; Line: 24.
    Last edited by Jan1954; 06-04-2012 at 1:22 PM. Reason: GSU roll number deleted, which is copyright

MoiraC

Quote Originally Posted by sdrobson View Post
    Read entire thread with great interest. Also have Thames lightermen on my father's side - first was from Suffolk, apprenticed and lived in Woolwich. His son, on gaining his freedom (to work on the river) moved to Walthamstow from 1841 census onwards. Did this move enable the son (and his sons) to work on the River Lea? The censuses describe them as "lightermen". Does anyone know of any records relating to the River Lea - i.e. the type of goods carried and the bargemen involved?
    I was so interested to read your post, as we are obviously part of the same family! My mother was a Robson, descended from that same lighterman from Suffolk who went to Woolwich, and then his son William to Walthamstow. My great-grandfather was Charles, the youngest child of William born 1806. Who is your ancestor? Very interested to hear what you know. Thanks.

sdrobson

Firstly a big "thank you" to all who have contributed to this thread, I have read all replies with great interest (and sent a PM to MoiraC). Recently corresponded with the archivists at LMA (who oversee the lightermens records, although these are held at the Guildhall Library). Was explained to me that the Company of Watermen & Lightermen's jurisdiction only covered operations on the River Thames. I concluded that bargemen using the River Lea navigation but wishing to enter the Thames, would still need to be licensed to do so. (as indeed my Walthamstow based ancestors were). So the 7-year apprentiship was virtually obligatory. The archivists stated the River Lea records will be at Kew (National Archives) although whether details of individual barge owners are held, remains to be seen.

Hi. I've just joined this site. Not much research done lately and little time at the moment. But, I was an Iszard, and have been tracing them. We are probably related some time back, and I also live in Suffolk!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123