Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Dear Yeates

Many thanks for the kind offer to send me the original cutting, but the scan is fine by me.

Grantham has a population of around 40,000 these days which is projected to rise to about 60,000 by 2026. When I was a child in the 1950s it was just short of 30,000, so I expect it was substantially less in the early 1920s.

As for accents, although I spent nearly eighteen years of my life working in London, I still retain my regional accent which has the short "a" sound in "path" and "bath". My ex-wife (with whom I remain on excellent terms by the way!), four children and five grandchildren would all say "parth" and "barth". One slight amendment to that: my youngest grandchild Poppy is only sixteen months old and has yet to display an accent beyond such greetings as "hiya".

Regards

Oldbloke

Mrs Hans Petersen leaving Minneapolis Airport on 5 June 1948.

Florence Petersen's manuscript note on the back of the 1948 photograph.

At last I have been able to post the Christmas card to which I referred in an earlier post. I have a scan of the other side of the card which seems to be refusing stubbornly to appear here. I must try again later. I had forgotten that I had in Florence's own handwriting proof of my claim that she was known in the family as "Sis"! I think this wraps the whole thing up pretty satisfactorily!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234