Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    claire bhela

Default Aughton Vicarage- East Riding Yorkshire

After researching my tree, with the help and guidance of this site i was asked by a family member to see if i can help with any information on their house, which has proved a complete head ache! i was hoping that someone might be able to help.
    They live in the old Vicarage in the village of Aughton. I have cut and pasted the following info from her email:
    "The house was built in 1824 but we believe it was built on the site of an old glebe house going back longer. The church it is associated with is called All Saints Church Aughton. The garden is listed with English Heritage which means we can’t do much in it unless we notify them and if we want to do anything we have to have their permission. It is listed because it was originally a moated stockade that held food etc that served the castle belonging to the Aske family. You can see bits of the original indentations and we have an ariel photograph which is more graphic. In view of the history of the area I just think there has to be more to the house and site than just a vicarage".

I have found some history on the Aske Family but very little on the church. I have found the 1881 Census of the Vicarage and that the Vicar was a Robert Simpson. But i've not been able to push this any further.

Please Help xx

Reputation beyond repute

House history is a different discipline. I would advise your friend to get a book on house history from the library and take it from there.

Jan1954

Tracing the History of Houses Supplied by Countryside Books may help

Also The Family Business undertakes research into houses if you get stuck.

claire bhela

many thanks for the guidance )

Name well known on Brit-Gen

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS...ton/index.html

some photos & history here & a contact no. This person may be able to help you.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

claire bhela

thank you, i had already found a good bit of info on Aughton ect on this site-

Many Thanks

Coromandel

For lots of ideas about sources for the history of buildings, see 'Researching historic buildings in the British Isles' at

https://www.
    buildinghistory.org/

There's a huge amount to explore there, such as the 'Primary sources' section (in the menu at the top of the home page) and advice on specific types of building (links on the left-hand side of the home page). There's a page devoted to 'Researching the history of parsonages', which (for example) gives some idea of the wealth of material to be found among diocesan records. I am guessing that Aughton was in the diocese of York. If that's correct then the records will I think be at the Borthwick Institute. Among their guides to diocesan records are this one on 'Papers relating to Parsonage Houses, Glebe and Tithe':

https://www.
    york.ac.uk/media/library/documents/borthwick/3.1.1.7guidepars.pdf

There are likely to be all sorts of other records in various places (e.g. the relevant county record office, and the National Archives). You may be able to track some of these down using online catalogues, but many of the records themselves won't be online.

The building itself will hold many clues to those who know how to interpret them. I see that there's a Yorkshire Vernacular Buildings Study Group. They might be interested in recording the building if it is considered typical of its area. Here's their website:

https://www-
    users.york.ac.uk/~lsm1/website-new/index.html

(NB there's a hyphen instead of a dot after the 'www'.)

There's a good book by Anthony Adolph, 'Tracing your home's history', which may give you many other ideas. Perhaps you can order a copy through your local library?

1841 Census (HO107 1216 4/6 6)
    John Earle, 25, Clerk
    Richard Earle, 13
    Mary Earle, 50
    Hannah Earle, 30
    Joanna Potter, 20, F.S
    James Pexton, 15, M.S
    Address Aughton, Aughton - all born Yorkshire except Mary Earle.

The Hull Packet, Fri 19 March 1841
    Advertisement
    The Rev John Earle, B.A, wishes to receive into his house Two or Three Pupils to prepare for the PUBLIC SCHOOLS or the UNIVERSITIES
    Aughton Vicarage, near Howden
    March 15 1841

1851 Census (HO107 2358 80 1)

Rev George Mower Webb

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    1851 Census (HO107 2358 80 1)

Rev George Mower Webb

Hello Helachau

Some work's already been done on this in this thread> https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...for-a-Vicarage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast