Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

If you search on FMP in the 'At sea' section of Deaths 1796-2006, you'll find an entry for Charles A Gordon.
    And there is a link to BT153 - Registers of Wages and Effects of Deceased Seamen which gives the ship's number, as well as a whole page of other people who drowned on the same day on the Benlomond. (Which in the register is written as Ben Lomond.)

ETA: I think the ship's official number might be helpful. Lloyds Register of Shipping conduct historical research (for what I think is a reasonable fee). Ask first whether the official number of a ship in BT153 is the number with which a ship would be registered at Lloyds.
    https://www.
    lr.org/about_us/shipping_information/Historical_research_service.aspx

(Won't tell you any more information of the whereabouts of the memorial, though. )

Pam

Reputation beyond repute

Later: General Gordon was at the Onslow Gardens address in both 1890 & 1892.
    Various newspaper reports and 'letters to the editor' place Charles Alexander Gordon at 25 Westbourne Square in the 1890s. The context identifies him as the Surgeon-General. See Gales 19th Century BL newspapers.

The electoral registers for 1891 and 1892 also have him at 25 Westbourne Square. In the electoral registers he is just shown as Charles Gordon. See also Who was Who

Coromandel

The Crew List Index Project has a useful index of vessels:

https://www.
    crewlist.org.uk/data/vesselsalpha.php

which includes four Benlomonds and eleven Ben Lomonds. The list may well help in 'disambiguation' since it includes official numbers, ports of registry, whether sail or steam, etc., and has links to Mercantile Navy Lists and other info.

The ship with official number 29716 is shown as a sailing ship registered at Shields; it appears in the Mercantile Navy List of 1870.

The ship with official number 65425 was a steam ship, built 1872 at Sunderland and registered the same year at North Shields. Perhaps she was being built when the previous North Shields 'Ben Lomond' was lost, and then the name was re-used?

Not knowing which number is given in the FMP list I don't know if either of the above is the ill-fated Ben Lomond.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello there,
    In case you have still not found any information about the "Benlomond", I hope the following may be of interest to you.

Mr grandfather`s brother, Thomas Hilton, sailed on a vessel called the Benlomond as a ship`s carpenter. She sailed from the Tyne on 18th Sept, 1872 with a cargo of coal for Callao under Captain Golsworthy, She was last spoken with on Oct 11th in Lat 8 N, Long 35 W. So, I presume we are talking about the same vessel.

According to my research, she was built in Bordeaux in 1859 with a GRT of 1967. Her Official No. in Lloyds Register was 58903.
    Although the information in Lloyds in 1872 shows the Owners as J.W. Adamson & Thomas Ronaldson, 1 Leadenhall Street, London, I have a document from the London Gazette of 1863, showing Adamson & Ronaldson were Shipbrokers not Owners. In another document from the London Gazette dated 1876, there is a reference to a Captain Morgan, c/o Adamson & Ronaldson, 34 Leadenhall Street, so it is possible he may have been the owner, or part owner. I have a letter from Thomas to his parents dated 21st Aug, 1872 South Shields, where he refers to Morgan, and also Captain Golsworthy. That is all the information I can give you at present.

If you have any further information about the ship or the voyage, I would be interested to hear from you.

regards
    Neil Hilton

talisman

Hi Neil, a belated thanks for your posting about the Benlomond which was very interesting and it seems very likely that your grandfather`s brother had the same fate at Charles Alexander Gordon jnr. Unfortunately, I have got no further in my original quest to locate the memorial.

Best regards,

Alistair

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123