Knowledgeable and helpful

Default 21st Foot Regiment

John Duffy

On 16th July 1858, age 17, John Duffy enrolled as a volunteer for the Militia. He was a labourer born in Kilbride, Tullamore, in the county of Kings (Offaly). Then two years later he transfers to the 21st Foot Regiment.
    On 23rd October 1860, in Tullamore John Duffy records he is 19 years, a labourer, from Kilbride, Tullamore, County Kings. At the question of have you served in the Army, Marines etc. it states
    Yes in The Kings County Rifles for 2 years 3 months. John enlisted for ten years. It looks like he served over 20 years, at least until 3rd November 1881.
    John served in the East Indies and the West Indies. He was at home between 13th November 1870 and 3rd November 1881. His cause of discharge was ‘In consequence of having claimed it on termination of his second period of limited engagement’.

I got this information from the military records on FMP.
    What I want to know is can I get any further information? I would be particularly interested in whether The 21st Foot Regiment was in Penally, Pembrokeshire in the early 1870's.
    Can anyone suggest anything to help my quest?
    With many thanks
    ELMA

Reputation beyond repute

What I want to know is can I get any further information? I would be particularly interested in whether The 21st Foot Regiment was in Penally, Pembrokeshire in the early 1870's.
    Pay and muster lists in series WO12

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...x=0&image1.y=0

You presumably know the battalion.

Thanks Peter
    I am not sure about the Battalion I must go back to the records and look again.
    It is not obvious to me but maybe I missed something
    Thanks again Elma

Still trying to find out the battalion John Duffy was in. I think there were only 2 battalions in The 21st Regiment of foot and on his marriage certificate it says 1/21 Regiment would it be safe to say that is the first Battalion.
    ELMA

Reputation beyond repute

Looks like it. According to the Regiments archive, the 1st battalion were in the West Indies, the 2nd weren't.

On the other hand, the 1st battalion were in the East Indies in the 1870s and the 2nd battalion were in UK for some of the 1870s. He may have changed battalions, of course and when the regiment went overseas, a few men stayed behind to mind the shop.

If the worst comes to the worst, if you can't find him in one battalion, you'll have to try the other

The National Archives reference library have got a few books on the history of the regiment which may help.