Starting to feel at home

Default David Coleman - maybe b. Essex 1807

I’m unsure just where/how I should search next and would appreciate any advice.

My ancestor Frederick Coleman was bapt. February 1839 at St Dunstan Stepney - son of David Coleman and Catherine Barton who married Bethnal Green 1839. (Fm Ancestry).
    My only census finds for David, a bricklayer, are 1841 Stepney, Mile End Old Town Lower & 1851, West Ham, Stratford, Leyton rd. That for 1851 gives him born at Chelmsford about 1807.

Writtle (nr Chelmsford) has been mentioned as a birthplace by several correspondents but with differing parents and siblings and without definitive proof.
    I’d like to find his parents and of course his death. Wife Catherine isn’t listed as a widow until 1871 census.

Rgds Heather

janbooth

For anybody who is trying to help Heather, please note that the marriage between David COLEMAN & Catharine BARTON actually took place on 27 March 1834, so obviously no fathers' names shown. Witnesses were Jas BARTON & Maria BARTON, so again no help there as regards the COLEMAN family.

Janet

judyg

Hi Heather

I used the last few minutes of my subscription to the Essex Archives online to have a look at the Writtle baptisms between 1804 - 1810. There was no sign of a baptism for David but there was one for a Charlotte bapt. Nov 5 1804 daughter of William and Ann.

So at least that shows there were Colemans there in the right time frame. A search of the 1841 & 1851 census shows Colemans in Writtle. Might be worthwhile doing a more thorough search at Essex Archives.

Cheers
    Judyg

Starting to feel at home

Hi Janbooth, Thanks for amending my mistake with the Coleman marriage year. Brain wasn't in gear. Heather

Starting to feel at home

Hi Judyg, Thank you for your kindness in looking at the Essex Archives for my chap. It seems that Writtle and Chelmsford had many Coleman residents in early 19C and I need to investigate the Archives there more thoroughly. This David's son Frederick immigrated to Sth Australia - am about to buy his dc, or at least that of a chap I hope is him. Too many disappearing husbands back then, and leave wives who battle on for decades. Thanks again, Heather17

janbooth

That's okay Heather - I frequently get my dates mixed up but I use my advanced old age (vbg!) as an excuse. Good luck with your quest and I hope our experts on the Forum can help.

Janet