Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mallyjam

Default A tailor who made his fortune

He was my gg granduncle, born 1818, a tailor who lived with his parents. I think perhaps his wife died after bearing a couple of children. They all lived together in the village of Battle near Hastings. [Had to smile when I found Battle was only 6 miles from Hastings.] Father was a gardener.

He lived till the age of 80 and by that time had amassed a considerable fortune - well 5700 pounds seems like a fortune to me, considering it was the 19th century. LOL I had no idea the occupation of tailor was such a lucrative one. On the probate record he was described as a 'gentleman' of High Street, Hastings and his son who was one of two who inherited this small fortune was to amass an even larger fortune - nearly 4 times as much. The son's occupation at the time of his death was auctioneer and I presume had been given a leg up along the way as sons often are.

So how does a journeyman tailor, from a family of no obvious means, become a rich gentleman living in the High Street? Was it possible for tailors to make that sort of money? I had no idea!

Reputation beyond repute

He certainly wouldn't make that amount as a journeyman!

Mallyjam

I had a wonderful read on a Sussex site that told me the story of how the villages of Battle and Hastings came into being. Of course I knew of the famous battle - had learnt the date by rote in primary school . One of the benefits of an education is you can put two and two together LOL

Yes I do think he must have built up a business and I thought perhaps I should now start looking for that business. Not sure how to go about it. I have looked up some of the directories available online eg Kelly's but haven't gone through with a toothcomb yet.
    Is there any other way of finding this business. It was certainly set up in Hastings and that was his address. I expect I should go straight to google and look up all I can on Hastings but would be interested to know if there are any particular genealogy resources I should look at.

Thanks!

Mutley

The Hastings Chronicle mentions many local names and the amounts paid for various plots and buildings.
    It may help, he may even be mentioned.
    https://www.
    hastingschronicle.net/1850-1899.html

The above suggestions are all good. I can think of a few "invisible" means of gaining a fortune in those days.

Legacy - he may have befriended a well-to-do person or even had a romance with one.

Lottery win. Yes, they existed.

Crime. Never to be ruled out!

Let's hope it was good fortune in business...

Mallyjam

Thank you Mutley!

I don't have a copy of the will only the probate record on Ancestry which is from the Index of Will and Administrations. How would I obtain a copy of his will? He died in August 1898 at the age of 80 so was long retired I would expect. It's a summary with his address at the time of death and the names of the two beneficiaries and the amount he left.

It's an odd thing but he was residing as a lodger 8 years before his death. Perhaps he'd been an overly prudent man who stashed every penny away. Unless those he was lodging with were family. He was in his seventies of course by then. I shall have to look up the other occupants.

I know I have the right man because of the addresses, occupations and family names which can be followed right through from 1841. He also has the uncommon name of Lewis.

There is more to find out about this Lewis as I suspect he might have had a relationship with a servant girl down the street when he was a very young man but that's all surmise at this point. I have to delve deeper.

And if he was a figure of crime I hope I shall find him out LOL

Mutley

It says probate

In 1881 his name has been transcribed as Louis though the original clearly says Lewis.

Mallyjam

His name was Lewis Weston.

Thanks for correcting re the beneficiaries/executors. I did wonder why the manager of a building society was a beneficiary - DUH!

Just wasn't thinking. Have been through this whole will/administrator thing with other family too so should have known. Was thinking that of course he would leave his money to his son. I only found the record yesterday so I'm jumping the gun really.

If you look up his son Stanley's will in 1922 - I think from memory - you will see he died a rich man also - a millionaire in today's terms I would imagine.

Not the sort of family I would imagine were involved in nefarious activities but the son was an auctioneer. I suppose there is room for some wheeling and dealing in an occupation like that LOL

Mallyjam

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    It says probate

In 1881 his name has been transcribed as Louis though the original clearly says Lewis.
    Mutley, I missed noticing that record because of the spelling. I just corrected it.

Many thanks!

Mallyjam

I couldn't find Lewis on the 71 census. Did find his parents though and they were living right next to the rectory at 106 High Street. Their address was 106 as well - looks like 106 1/2 perhaps. I wonder if the rectory had an attached 'flat' for parishioners.

It does seem as though there wasn't much money in evidence at that time at least or you would have thought Lewis would have set them all up somewhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast