andmar

Default Frank Ayres to New Zealand.

I have found the record of Frank Ayres who I believe to be my Grand Uncle on the passenger list of the SS Ruapehu.It sailed from London to Wellington on 18 Feb 1909.
    Can anyone advise me where to start looking to trace him. At the time he was single man aged abt 27 and he may have joined the military as he had previously served in the British army for 8 Years.

Any help much appreciated, Andy.

Coromandel

The only thing I can see in the NZ Papers Past website is in a Wellington newspaper (the Evening Post) of 16 April 1910. This has a report of a Frank Ayres being in court for assault. He was acquitted as there was evidence that he was acting in self-defence.

I can't see Frank in the online NZ marriage or death indexes, Andy, or in Findmypast's database of New Zealand Soldiers of the First World War. Perhaps he didn't stay out there?

In case it helps others in the search, it looks like we are talking about a Frank Ayres who was son of William (chimney sweep) & Emily. The family were of Hexit [=Hixet] Wood when Frank and a brother James were baptised at Charlbury, Oxfordshire, on 12 Feb. 1882. See post #14 of this thread.

P.S. Ancestry has some First World War pension records for an Oxfordshire-born Frank Ayres which might be worth checking out.

andmar

Thanks for taking time to check. Yes, this is the Frank Ayres baptised at Charlbury and yes I have got his Army records from Ancestry. I wouldn't be surprised if he was in court for assault as he was a bit of a boxing champ while serving in India.

Cheers, Andy.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by andmar View Post
    I have got his Army records from Ancestry.
    Don't they give any clue as to his whereabouts during or shortly after the First World War?

andmar

Although his records are under WW1 Pensions he served from 1900 to 1908 and then he was due to serve another 4 years on reserve. At the start of this 4 years in 1908 he applied to the army to proceed to New Zealand. He had to apply and get permission as he was still on reserve. It was this application that made me look on the passenger lists. The place the application was made from was Stow on the Wold.