lizone

Default Alderney Invalids

After searching plenty of dead ends, I’ve found one of my ancestors was (yet another) soldier firstly in the 19th Foot Regiment from abt 1771 to 1791 and then in the Alderney Invalids from 1791 until 1802. Both references have been found on documents on TNA website, but unfortunately can’t be ordered via the online facility, so before I get down to London I would like to find something out about the Invalids divisions, specifically the Alderney Invalids if possible. However, I must be looking in the wrong places as nothing useful seems to be coming up on an internet search – does anyone know where I could start?

Liz

Name well known on Brit-Gen

There's some basic information here ...
    https://
    chi.genuki.weald.org.uk/ald/start#military_history

... and (for when you get to TNA) some musters in WO 12/11598 (you may need to click twice). They cover only a short period, but they may include what you need.

Reputation beyond repute

Both references have been found on documents on TNA website
    What reference numbers?

euryalus

I think the Alderney Invalids were part of the Royal Artillery, which used so-called "invalid" companies to man coastal forts such as Pendennis Castle. Invalids does not mean old or infirm (although some of them probably were) - veterans would probably be a better description.

Reputation beyond repute

Not only Artillery, I think. The 1798 Army List (on line) lists no less than five Invalid Companies on Alderney alone. You'd think they would just about fill up the island

euryalus

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    You'd think they would just about fill up the island
    They probably did fill the island(s) with British soldiers, which could have been much better employed elsewhere. That is presumably why, in World War Two, the British army withdrew from the Channel Islands and sat back while the Germans expended huge amounts of time, money and energy in defending the islands - whereas the allied invasion, when it finally came, took place in Normandy!

lizone

Thanks Kerrywood for the link and more documents to add to my TNA list!

Peter – the document refs are as follows:
    WO121/10/202 – Matthew Sugden (sp) (19th Regiment of Foot)
    WO121/152/561 – Matthew Sugden (sp) (Alderney Invalids)

Liz