Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    johnszymala

Question Katherine Thompson of Amlwch

I am trying to locate a Katherine Thomson born c1854 at Amlwch, Angelsey. I can find no trace of her in the births section of BDM. I will be exploring a possible union to Thomas Letcher in Millom c1873 but wonder if anyone has knowledge of the family. Thanks John

Brick wall demolition expert!

There is a birth of a CATHERINE THOMPSON in Anglesey Qtr Jan 1853 Vol 11b Page 534.

Anglesey is one single registration district, so you tell if she was born in Holyhead, or Amlwch or Llangefni etc etc.

A CATHERINE THOMPSON married in Bootle Cumberland Jul 1873 Vol 10b Page 951. At that time the register does not definately identify the spouse. However one of the possiblilties offered is a THOMAS LETCHER.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

To be able to move back successfully you will need to either positively identify Catherine on a census prior to her marriage or by her birth certificate neither of these can be conclusive, so you will need sight of the details from her marriage certificate. The marriage either occured at the local Registry office or in a non conformist church ( see entry on cumbriabmd.org.uk) , it is unlikely that you will find full details on line

To identify William b 1882/3 you will need to obtain his birth certificate and to have a picture of the structure of the THOMPSON family, Catherine's siblings / parents etc...it is not unknown for an incorrect relationship to be shown on the census!

You will find both a suitable Catherine & William birth entry on freebmd.org

moli23

Hi. I am a descendant of Matthew Thompson b1757 Wirksworth/Middleton who came to Amlwch to work in the copper mine, brother to Elizabeth who married Jonathon Roose mine agent, many of the Thompsons in Amlwch are descended from MT...#

William Thompson 1825 Llanelian Road Sailor
    Ellen Thompson 1822
    William Thompson 1849
    Thomas Thompson 1851
    Catherine Thompson 1853
    Mary Thompson 1860

There a web site called Amlwch Data which might help your search, if not, it gives an insight into the industry around there.

johnszymala

moli,

Thank you for the contact. I have replied to you directly giving my wife's line to William Thompson and his wife Ellen. It will be interesting if possible to make the direct connection to your Matthew Thompson b1757. Catherine b1853 married Thomas Letcher b1847 at St Annes, Cornwall who was also a miner at the Hodbarrow mines.

John

moli23

William son of Thomas/Jane son of Matthew/Ellin...I have sent you some info

johnszymala

Neil

Thank you a very interesting site.

John

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello moli23. Is that the Matthew Thompson who married Elin Rowlands? Her brother Owen Rowlands operated the weighing machine between the mine and the port. Alan

janbooth

If you have the correct Catherine THOMPSON, her baptismal record is available to view on FindmyPast a pay per view site. The details on her baptism fit with the information given you in post 4.

Janet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast