Thread: Help Please!

Brick wall demolition expert!

Default Help Please!

Have been having a look at my Cousins father, my Uncle,sadly he died either just before or shortly after she was born in July 1935. Sadly my cousin died last year before I got around to having a look for him but her children would still like to know about their Grandfather.
    I need a little advice where to proceed with this search, what I have:

Charles Lewis Griffiths age 32 wed Gladys Ravenscroft age 19 Manchester South 8 June 1933- grooms father Alfred-occupation - carter. Charles occupation is not legible on the certificate, but it could be confectioner??? My mum told me that when he married her sister mum was only 6 and she remembers him giving her a toy sweet shop, so maybe this is where the confectioner comes in.

So he would have a birth yr of around 1901 we can assume.

Now checking Manchester burial records I have found him buried at Southern Cemetery along with his father Alfred and I assume his mother Annie, there is also a Bridget Murphy buried with them, could be his Gran maybe..
    Burial details are as follows, burial dates obtained from Manchester burial records ages obtained from freebmd
    Charles Lewis Griffiths-Burial -5 June 1935-age 36 ( which gives a birth yr of abt 1899)
    Bridget Murphy-Burial 22 Feb 1936-age 90 brn abt 1846
    Afred Griffiths burial-13 Jan 1940-age 64-brn abt 1876
    Annie Griffiths-burial-13 March 1963-age 80-brn abt 1883

I remember my mum vaguely mentioning his a long time ago and maybe it is the name but she may have mentioned he was Welch? My cousin passed away last yr unfortunately and her daughters know nothing of him.
    I havent been able to find a birth for a Charles Lewis Griffiths.

Using the theory that Bridget Murphy is his Gran I searched marriages and found a Alfred Joseph Griffiths married Annie Murphy Sacred trinity Salford..1898.

I am still trawling through 1901/1911 census.

Would like advice as to the best way to proceed with this, simple to obtain the marriage cert for the 1898 marriage but as I have no idea of Annie or Alfreds fathers names it really wouldnt help much at this stage..

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I wonder if this chap is an where near? 1911 although the Fathers occ isn't what you need.

Chas Wm Lewis Griffiths 15 b.1896
    Broseley, Salop, England

Alfred Griffiths 42 Gas Stoker
    Mary Ann Griffiths 45
    Chas Wm Lewis Griffiths 15
    Ernst Robert Griffiths

Class: RG14; Piece: 18642

Crown copywrite held at TNA
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Genes Reunited has a person named Jane with a tree containing a Gladys Ravenscroft & possibly her daughter M....
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Waitabit View Post
    Genes Reunited has a person named Jane with a tree containing a Gladys Ravenscroft & possibly her daughter M....
    Yes Jane is her grandaughter. Margaret is my cousin her daughter Margaret and Gladys are both deceased. Auntie Gladys went on to marry twice more after Charles death..

Quote Originally Posted by Waitabit View Post
    I wonder if this chap is an where near? 1911 although the Fathers occ isn't what you need.

Chas Wm Lewis Griffiths 15 b.1896
    Broseley, Salop, England

Alfred Griffiths 42 Gas Stoker
    Mary Ann Griffiths 45
    Chas Wm Lewis Griffiths 15
    Ernst Robert Griffiths

Class: RG14; Piece: 18642

Crown copywrite held at TNA
    Thanks Waitabit, a possibility, birth yr is a few years out as it seems to be 1899-1901.although I have not seen him referred to as Charles William before..as for occupation I suppose occupation could change by the time Charles married worth keeping in mind..Also the parents birth yrs are a long way from Alfred and Annie they would only be 28 and 35 going by their death ages.

Looking at 1911 census....looks promising, and would never have found it without looking at original as info is all wrong on the transcript...is only when you open up original you can see how badly it has been transcribed, just shows the benefit of having a sub when you are using FMP so you can open every entry!
    Ancestry has the entry better transcribed, this looks like the one even though the ages a a little out compared to the ages at death, but it is Alfred a carter, wife Annie and they have a son Charles the correct age, and they also have a daughter Margaret, which is what Charles called my cousin, so looks like I am on the right track...