Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I lie. I lie.

Suddenly remembered that I have a sub to World Vital Records who have loads of worldwide newspapers, and I have struck gold.

Well, sort of, anyway.

The British Banner, dated 27 June 1849, page 4, columns 3 &4

Headed The British Colonies
    Australian Colonization
    The Ship Lima
    To the editor of the British Banner

Too much to copy here, but it begins:
    The emigrants by this vessel (for Moreton Bay, Coolksland, Australia) having been mustered on board at (Gravesend, by Lieutenant Lean, R N , on the evening of Thursday last, the Rev. Dr. Lang, accompanied by J. H. Arnold, Esq., of Clement's-lane, and a small party of friends from London, went on board on Friday evening, to deliver a parting address to the emigrants.
    The evening was one of the finest imaginable; the midsummer sun descending slowly in the west, and the ship, a remarkably beautiful Scotch-built vessel, resting like a sea bird asleep on the glassy water. It was just such an evening as one would have selected for such an occasion out of a whole summer.

It then goes on to mention the Captain Yule and the surgeon-superintendent Dr Wilkinson and the fact that there were 110 emigrants on board.
    It then gives details of the service and the address by Dr Lang. Part of the address was

" My friend, Mr. Samuel Baker, who has already had much experience in conducting the public ministrations
    of religion, will discharge the duties of chaplain and school-master during the voyage, conducting Divine
    service twice every Lord's-day, and presiding at evening prayers whenever the weather may permit ; and I trust that a Committee will be formed from among yourselves to assist and support Mr. Baker in the discharge
    of these important duties."

Hopefully someone can find a more 'local' paper giving details of Samuel's family emigrating.

Pam

Hugh Thompson

It looks like he was buried in the East Maitland Cemetery 10-03-1885 age 75, with a Hannah Baker also buried in the same plot 10-07-1892 aged 81, there's a marriage 1553/1856 for Samuel Baker and Hannah Wilson at Maitland.
    Hugh.

pennydog

Quote Originally Posted by spison View Post
    Can anyone find this family in 1851?

Have tried to find them in 1851, I do not see them so hopefully they are the family that we are looking for.

You have all been so busy, since I left for work this morning and have added so much more info.

pennydog

I wonder if this is Samuel and Harriets marriage - source Family Search England Marriages

2 entries 27/7/1834 Avening Gloucester Samuel Baker to Harriett (sic) Stephens - indexing project 103824-8 and
    31/7/1834 Avening Gloucester Samuel Baker to Harriett Stephens - indexing project 103824-7

Does anyone have a copy of these PRs to check?

Fits nicely with the birth of Mary.
    Last edited by pennydog; 05-03-2012 at 2:30 PM. Reason: pressed post too soon - doh!

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by pennydog View Post
    Have tried to find them in 1851, I do not see them so hopefully they are the family that we are looking for.
    Yes, it is looking good, isn't it? Well done to you for finding them in 1841. That would give a d.o.b. of about 1835 for daughter Mary, so I wondered if this might be her baptism:

Mary Ann Baker, dau. of Saml. and Harriet, b. 18 Oct. 1835 and bapt. 1836 at 'Forest Green Chapel, Nailsworth Independent, Avening, Gloucester[shire]'. Curiously there is another entry on FamilySearch for this baptism, this time in their 'Non-conformist Record Indexes', which gives the parents of Mary Ann Baker as Samuel and Harriet Warwood.

FamilySearch has two entries for the marriage of Samuel Baker married Harriett Stephens at Avening. One gives the date as 27 July 1834 while the other says 31 July 1834. Both quote film no. 855703 which is shown in the FHL Catalog as Avening parish registers.

I can't spot any obvious baptisms of later children, but many post-1837 non-conformist records are not online.

Some more bits and pieces from Trove:

The Maitland Mercury & Hunter River General Advertiser of 14 March 1885 has a long piece titled 'The Late Mr. Samuel Baker'. It begins 'It is not the intention of the writer to give an outline of Mr. Baker's life', which is unfortunate for us. However, it does emphasise that he was a 'deeply religious man' (interestingly it says he 'professed no particular leaning towards any Protestant Church') and talks of his role as a teacher. The author was 'sure that many of his old scholars, when they hear of his death, will mentally and sorrowfully go back to the time when the good old man instructed and counselled them.'

Hugh mentions a Hannah Baker who died 1892 and was buried with Samuel. The Maitland Mercury & Hunter River General Advertiser, 16 July 1892, announced her death:

'BAKER. - Died, on the 10th inst., at the residence of her brother, Samuel Anderson, Forest Hill, West Maitland, Hannah, relict of the late Samuel Baker, of East Maitland, in the 81st year of her age.'

Is he the Samuel Baker who was involved with the Maitland School of Arts until 1862 when appointed postmaster in Singleton? If so here is another child of his, marrying in 1865:

'At Mount Pleasant, W. Maitland, on the 5th instant, by special license, by the Rev. S.F. Mackenzie, Jno. W. Pender, to Jane, the fourth daughter of Mr. Samuel Baker, Postmaster, Singleton.'
    (The Maitland Mercury & Hunter River General Advertiser, 7 Sept. 1865)

Edit: ah, you beat me to it with the marriage, pennydog

The SoG have some Avening stuff, and I'm due to go to the SoG on 17th March.
    If no-one's been able to see the PRs before then I will have a look if I have time. (I'm going for a meeting, which has to take priority.)
    But please could someone PM me on the 16th to remind me. If I make a note before then I know that I will only mislay the dratted thing!

Pam

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    Is he the Samuel Baker who was involved with the Maitland School of Arts until 1862 when appointed postmaster in Singleton? If so here is another child of his, marrying in 1865:

'At Mount Pleasant, W. Maitland, on the 5th instant, by special license, by the Rev. S.F. Mackenzie, Jno. W. Pender, to Jane, the fourth daughter of Mr. Samuel Baker, Postmaster, Singleton.'
    (The Maitland Mercury & Hunter River General Advertiser, 7 Sept. 1865)
    Sydney Morning Herald, 12 February 1921
    'PENDER - February 9 1921, at her residence, Swansea, Jane Pender, widow of the late John W. Pender, architect, West Maitland.'

The NSW death index shows her parents as Samuel and Harriett, so it looks as if 'our' Samuel Baker was indeed the one who was postmaster at Singleton (there's lots in the papers about him).

The Maitland cemetery records, which can be downloaded from maitland.nsw.gov.au/Heritage/Cemeteries/BurialRegister (put www. in front), give Jane Pender's age at death as 74, pointing to a d.o.b. of about 1847.

Perhaps another member of the family is the Samuel Baker son of Samuel & Harriett whose death was registered in the St Leonards district 1910, again according to the NSW BDM index.

spison

Look what happens when you sleep! I did wonder about Samuel becoming the Singleton postmaster but hadn't followed it up and had spotted the death notice of Hannah BAKER and wondered if she may be connected. What an interesting thread!

Pender is a very well-known Maitland name. A link from the UoN Cultural Collections about John Wiltshire Pender.
    https://www.
    flickr.com/photos/uon/sets/72157627165745889/?page=4
    Jane

minack

Wink A eureka moment

Hi All,

I think I have found them on the 1841 census in Shaftsbury Dorset Samuel aged 27 born 1814, Wife Harriet 25, Mary 6, FANNY 3 and George 1.

He is listed as Schoolm - presumably schoolmaster.

I am now pretty sure this is it. I would not have been able to get this far if I had not had such great imput from you all on this thread. Thank you.

minack

Quote Originally Posted by minack View Post
    Hi All,

I think I have found them on the 1841 census in Shaftsbury Dorset Samuel aged 27 born 1814, Wife Harriet 25, Mary 6, FANNY 3 and George 1.

He is listed as Schoolm - presumably schoolmaster.

I am now pretty sure this is it. I would not have been able to get this far if I had not had such great imput from you all on this thread. Thank you.

minack
    Ahem, may I respectfully point you in the direction of post #21?

Pam

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast