Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sharon Medley

Cool Gates Family in England

Hello everybody,
    Was wondering if anybody is reaching the family of John and Eliza (Elizabeth ) Gates? They only information I have on the family is on the baptisim records of their four children (may be more but have not found).
    Children: George Gates born 31 Dec 1842..Frederick Gates born 20 Jul 1846..Thomas Gates born 20 Apr 1848..Harriet Elizth. Gates born 04 Jun 1855,
    all were Baptised @ St. Thomas, Stepney, London England. I do know that Frederick migrated to Canada in 1865. I am desperately trying to find the maiden name of John's wife Eliza. Any information would be appreciated.
    I will be happy to share what information on Frederick (he is my GGgrandfather).
    Thank you
    Sharon (Watson) Medley

Francesca

Smile

My G-G-grandmother was called Maria Gates. She was born in 1810 in MDX< England. Her father was James Gates and was born in Buckinghamshire. She married Joseph Webster. In 1871, she was a Launderess, and lived in Mile end, London. Her father James Gates 1779-1864 was born in Buckinghamsire. In 1861 at the age of 81 he was a gerneral carmen and lived with his daughter and two grandsons at 6 upper John Street, Mile end Old Town.

Sharon Medley

Talking Gates in London

Thank you for your reply Francesca, I will check and see if I find any of them in my Tree...I've just started my research on the England part of my family so may take awhile. Still trying to find the parents in England of my GGgrandfather who was born in England then moved to Canada.

Sharon

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Frederick Gates

The best way is if you can find his birth certificate, this would give his mother full maiden name, father and fathers occupation. It may not give a full address but it will tell you where they were living.

Are you sure that they were Fredericks siblings, if so if you can't find his birth Certificate in 1837.com then you may be able to find one of the siblings.

Have you looked on Freebmd this is the indexing in London from which you can order birth marriage or death certificates. They started to record bm & d in Sept 1837 and the indexing is up to present day. Freebmd is free but you will find that it is not finished yet so some quarters still missing it covers 1837- to around 1910

1837 com are scanned copies of the indexing you can view all but it will cost you .10 pence per page, it could cost a min of .40 pence per year, so its better if you have a rough idea when the birth marriage or death happened. You can buy credits of 55 = £5.00 more if you want to. Note how long they last so use them or lose them. You can save each page to your computer so you will only have to pay the once for that quarters page. Don't forget to save it by naming it the year name & quarter.

You may find that you want to view the pages later if you find cousins born around that time so it makes sense to save them.

So start by using Freebmd and then if they are not there try 1837.com

Try different spellings, and check that they didn't have a different 1st name, if you can't still find them then they may not be there as not all were recorded. Birth parents didn't have to record births until 1875 when it then became law for them to do so. Up til then the registrar went around and recorded any new births if they family were missing then the birth went unrecorded.

Also on Freebmd in the Marriages, if you find one for John Gates you can click on the page number and it should bring up every one on that page. 1837 - about 1870 will give you 8 name, 4 of each for 4 marriages per page, check to see if there was an Eliza it may just be yours. After about 1870 they put only 2 marraiges per page so 2 of each.

Hope this helps.

Irene

Sharon Medley

Talking Gates Family in England

Thank you Irene,
    I would love to find a birth certificate, only problem is that I don't know exactly where in England they were born. Only know where they were christened(found four children on LDS site, all show same parents Jon Gates and Eliza_______).Have tried going back to LDS library but they are closed until 01 Aug.
    I have gone to freebmd and found seven John Gates marriages with several Elizabeths (no Eliza). Have tried looking at England censuses but sofar no luck.
    If you have anymore suggestions would love to hear them.
    Thank you for your reply.
    Sharon

Johnpegram

Smile The Gates Family in England

Hi there,

I've been researching my 'Gates' ancestors and found the following site had a very good family tree, for the Gates's in Cranham and Ockendon in the county of Essex in England, from 1740 - 1940.

Cranham & Ockendon are about 10 miles to the East of Stepney in London.

Cheers

John

Reputation beyond repute

Hi John

Apologies if I've misinterpreted your surname but I you've come across an Arthur Charles Pegram who was around in 1910 in the London area? Someone of that name surfaced briefly in my tree.

Lizbee

Quote Originally Posted by Francesca
    My G-G-grandmother was called Maria Gates. She was born in 1810 in MDX< England. Her father was James Gates and was born in Buckinghamshire. She married Joseph Webster. In 1871, she was a Launderess, and lived in Mile end, London. Her father James Gates 1779-1864 was born in Buckinghamsire. In 1861 at the age of 81 he was a gerneral carmen and lived with his daughter and two grandsons at 6 upper John Street, Mile end Old Town.
    James Gates 1779 -1864 had two other daughters, Jane and Elizabeth. Jane married Stephen Dixon a butcher whilst Elizabeth remained single and worked for the latter part of her life in Wanstead Infant Orphan Asylum as a nurse. Joseph Webster was an apprentice butcher working with Stephen in New Road Stepney.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Gates family in England

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Medley View Post
    Hello everybody,
    Was wondering if anybody is reaching the family of John and Eliza (Elizabeth ) Gates? They only information I have on the family is on the baptisim records of their four children (may be more but have not found).
    Children: George Gates born 31 Dec 1842..Frederick Gates born 20 Jul 1846..Thomas Gates born 20 Apr 1848..Harriet Elizth. Gates born 04 Jun 1855,
    all were Baptised @ St. Thomas, Stepney, London England. I do know that Frederick migrated to Canada in 1865. I am desperately trying to find the maiden name of John's wife Eliza. Any information would be appreciated.
    I will be happy to share what information on Frederick (he is my GGgrandfather).
    Thank you
    Sharon (Watson) Medley
    Hi Sharon,

Re. your message about the Gates family in England, dated July 2005, I am wondering if you received any helpful answers to your query? There is a remote possibility that my family may be connected but I cannot show that on evidence known to me. My great-grandfather was a George Gates, son of John Gates, but that is all I know.
    Thanks, Tim Gates

Dundee10

Hi and Welcome flyingpast.

The family that Sharon listed details for in her post were actually named YATES, not GATES. Eliza's maiden surname was also YATES. The birth registrations are on the GRO indexes and they are also YATES in census records. I have only had a brief look at Sharon's other posts and it seems she was going around in circles and possibly didn't end up working it out. Her Frederick had the same date of birth (not sure if she means exact date or just year) as Frederick YATES so maybe he changed his name.

You might like to tell us what you know about your George to see if we can find him. Who and where did your George marry? Children?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast