Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jepo

Default Vital Records Index

Hi
    I have several disks supplied by the LDS but since changing to Windows 7 I have been unable to use them. I have tried contacting LDS in USA but they have not replied and the local LDS family history centre were unable to help. Any advice would be appreciated.
    jepo

Reputation beyond repute

It's not exactly answering the question but isn't the BVRI (if this is what you mean) now available online?

jepo

Default BVRI

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    It's not exactly answering the question but isn't the BVRI (if this is what you mean) now available online?
    Much of the data included in BVRI is available elsewhere such as IGI, but occasionally I found information on the BVRI disks which did not appear on the other online websites.

jepo

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by jepo View Post
    Much of the data included in BVRI is available elsewhere such as IGI, but occasionally I found information on the BVRI disks which did not appear on the other online websites.

jepo
    Me too. I have the same problem. There are oft times when I have no internet connection and found it useful to browse the discs.
    The search facility on them was quite easy to use and I do actually miss them.

Starting to feel at home

This is not really an answer, but I understand that you can ‘dual boot’ a PC with 2 operating systems i.e. Windows 7 and, say, Vista. This does require you having the operating system to load on the computer and at start up you are asked which one you want to open. Having said this I have not done it myself maybe someone out there can further advise on how to do it.

Royw

Mutley

Seeing as I have several programs and quite a lot of information that I can no longer use with my new set up,
    I think I will keep my eye out for an old second hand laptop running XP and Word 2003.
    One step forward and two back.

Reputation beyond repute

Much of the data included in BVRI is available elsewhere such as IGI
    I don't know about that - I think it's always been distinct from the IGI.

I was thinking of new Familysearch (see for example England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975 and England Marriages, 1538–1973

Also Ancestry's England & Wales Christening Records, 1530-1906 and England & Wales Marriages, 1538-1940 . The stated source is "Original data: Genealogical Society of Utah. British Isles Vital Records Index, 2nd Edition".

That's as far as I've bothered to look.

David Benson

Have a read of this from Microsoft -
    https://
    windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7
    Last edited by Jan1954; 10-12-2011 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Commercial website - please read the Terms of Service.

Margaret08

I seem to remember that when I ordered my copy of the VRI I ordered from somewhere in England (Birmingham??), is this office still open?

Margaret.

jepo

Hi RoyW
    Thank you for the suggestion, but as I am not confident that I could set up the computer to dual boot, I may look for an old computer and re-install Windows XP.
    jepo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast