JenniLl

Default Art Colleges in London

I am not sure if this is the correct forum for this query, but I'll start here.

My husband's Mother (Ruth A Stenhouse, sometimes known as Ruby) was at Art College in London, given her date of birth probably during the 1930s.She would have been at college in her maiden name.
    From some of the work that we have she was quite an accomplished artist and sculptor.She did work for the Roman Museum at Bath and Sir Peter Scott at Slimbridge.

Unfortunately we do not know which Art College she attended. Does anyone know where we might start looking?! This morning on line I have located at least six possibilities so it could be a rather long process. I was hoping that there might be some kind of central archive.

Many thanks in advance.

Jenni

Reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know where we might start looking?
    Yellow Pages (category: Art and Design Schools) and weed out the ones that obviously don't apply (eg because they didn't exist in the 1930s)?

Not sure what you mean by a central archive.

JenniLl

Thanks Peter,

I wondered if there was a central place that the archives from establishments like the Art Schools / Colleges deposited their material.

Jenni

Thomasin

The Slade School of Fine Art has its own records housed in the UCL library. If you google 'Slade School of Art records' you will find a page which gives you all the details of what they hold and how to make a personal visit. If, that is, you decide that this school is a contender.

JenniLl

Thomasin, My OH has said that his Mother mentioned Chelsea (now he tells me!), so I will explore that first but thank you for the info re the Slade.

Jenni