Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Duncan Cameron

Default New posts v Today's posts

This confused me for a while.
    When signed in there is a link to 'New posts' which seems to show posts within the past couple of hours. When not signed-in that link is not present but is replaced by a 'Todays posts' link that shows all posts in all forums today.
    Is there a way of getting the 'Todays posts' when signed-in? I find it an easy way to browse through the recent additions to all forums.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Cameron
    When signed in there is a link to 'New posts' which seems to show posts within the past couple of hours. When not signed-in that link is not present but is replaced by a 'Todays posts' link that shows all posts in all forums today. Is there a way of getting the 'Todays posts' when signed-in? I find it an easy way to browse through the recent additions to all forums.
    The only way I've found is to select 'Today's Post' when I first go to the BG Forums, then sign in. Today's Posts are still displayed. When I look at a thread, I then just right click and select 'back' to go back to the list of Today's Posts.

Geoffers

The new posts button shows you all the posts since the last time you logged in. This comes as a bit of a surprise when you come back from a weekend christening party, pop into BG to see what's been happening and discover that Rod has added a new set of forums while you were away pages and pages of new posts and I just had to read all of them - just in case.

Ann
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Procat

Quote Originally Posted by Ladkyis
    The new posts button shows you all the posts since the last time you logged in.Ann
    Unfortunately it is not unusual for me to log in to be told that there are no new posts - even though I know very well that there are.

But a big thankyou to Geoffers as I now have an effective work around. In fact it even showed me some of yesterdays posts.

Burrow Digger

You need to allow cookies so that BG automatically logs you in when you first enter the site. And then you have to read ALL the post titles and choose which ones to read before you go to any other forum, or leave again. If you come back 2 minutes later, those new posts have all gone.

BD

Procat

Hi BD,

I do have cookies enabled for the site but seems to have no effect.

Geoffers solution works very well and the posts don't disappear - he says having used it only today.

Scared of spiders but fond of frogs!

Re New Posts ...... I'm permanently 'signed in' to BG Forums, so every morning I click on New Posts, look down the list and click on the Title of everything I just want to read.

If I spot that two items of interest have been added to British Gen Discussion for example, I click on the Forum 'bit' instead and read both posts in there. Then I click my Back button which takes me back to the original New Posts.

With this message, after I've sent it ..... I then click New Posts at the top, this takes me back to the original New Posts plus this one of mine.

When I've finished reading/posting, I click to go somewhere else e.g Genuki, then when I pop back here in two hours time and click New Posts again, it shows everything which has been posted since I left.
    Good luck with your research everybody!

Scared of spiders but fond of frogs!

P.S. I've just posted four messages in the forums since I clicked New Posts on arriving. The second before I clicked to post this message now, after doing what I said in my previous message ....... I still had all the original New Posts showing upon my arrival, plus four showing my name as the last one posting on four messages.
    Good luck with your research everybody!

Procat

Once I am logged on everything works fine.

It is only when I am logging in for the first time that problems occur. And it is intermittent - sometimes there are no new posts and sometimes they are all there.

For now I will stick with Geoffers workaround I think.

AnnB

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Grant-Salmon
    Re New Posts ...... I'm permanently 'signed in' to BG Forums, so every morning I click on New Posts, look down the list and click on the Title of everything I just want to read.

If I spot that two items of interest have been added to British Gen Discussion for example, I click on the Forum 'bit' instead and read both posts in there. Then I click my Back button which takes me back to the original New Posts.

With this message, after I've sent it ..... I then click New Posts at the top, this takes me back to the original New Posts plus this one of mine.

When I've finished reading/posting, I click to go somewhere else e.g Genuki, then when I pop back here in two hours time and click New Posts again, it shows everything which has been posted since I left.
    I do almost exactly the same, but I'm glad you have explained it Diane, as every time I tried, it sounded like gobbledegook
    I never 'log out', unless I come back after straying to another web site. If I think I might have missed something on the 'new posts', I log out, go somewhere else (and no, I do not mean to another room ) then log back in again and go to 'today's posts'
    I suppose it is a case of whatever method you get used to and works for you
    Best wishes
    Ann

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast