Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    racing girl

Default Australian Records - First Time Searching

I'm trying to trace one of my husbands Gt Uncles who ended up in Australia, but not by any conventional method!

He was born Bernard James L Palmer in 1904 in Stamford Lincolnshire to Ernest Palmer and Henrietta Clark. Like his two older brothers he joined the Royal Navy (date unknown), but unlike his siblings he didn't take to the life at all. He jumped ship in Canada, was found and court martialled. He then jumped ship again in America, but again was found and court martialled. He jumped ship for the final time in Australia, they never caught him and he never returned to England.

I know he married and had a family, as after a number of years, he wrote to his brother Roland, my husbands Grandfather. He also started a tv sales and repair business and apparently did quite well with it. Roland Palmer died in December of 1978, and either the following summer or the summer of 1980, Roland's widow, son and DIL went to Australia to visit Bernard and his family. Unfortunately I don't have any info on where they went.

So, I don't have any names, dates or locations for him! I'm currently reading Procat's info regarding BMD's in Australia and I see some of the territories are searchable. I don't expect to find a death cert for him as I'm pretty sure he died after 1981, but I'm going to look for any marriage info.

In the meantime, over to you!! Any help or even just your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Brenda

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Here you go Brenda.

Bernard James L Palmer a driver at 32 Asling St. Henty , Brighton Victoria 1931
    Palmer Jessie same address1942 at 48 Asling St. Balaclava,Brighton. Victoria
    1972 Both at 152 Nepean Highway Balaclava,Elsternwick, also "..." sent to your private message box. Person may still be living
    You can search here for probable interrments.
    https://www.australiancemeteries.com/
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

racing girl

Wendy
    Thank you so much for the info and the pm, I thought this was such a long shot, but once again, I got fantastic info in a very short space of time. Can I ask what is the source of the info you've quoted from 1931, 1942 and 1972. Are these Australian census documents, or something else? Also, was Jessie Palmer listed with Bernard in 1931? Trying to narrow down their rough date of marriage.

Thanks for the link too, off to have a look at that now.

Brenda

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Just caught this before bed calls. Ancestry has Australian Electoral rolls 1903-1980 . Probably you'll need a sub to check, or a pal with one.
    I didn't check all years just enough to get the 4 names (2nd pm)Can check more tomorrow if you don't have access, but by then some-one else is sure to happen along.
    g'night/morning.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Famous for offering help & advice

Brenda..

Sent you a pm... found a likely death, but not a marriage......

Sue

Ancestry has a death, but no date... Registration # 4565/79/w... I wonder why there is not a date mentioned?
    Last edited by susan-y; 28-02-2012 at 6:21 PM. Reason: added more infor for hopefully more help!

racing girl

Just so everyone see's the same info, this is the gist of what Sue sent me:

The age at death was given as 76, so as he was born in 1904 that would make the year of death 1980 (if it is him), but that's right about the time the family from England visited him. Plus this death was registered in Western Australia and it seems from Wendy's info that he was in the Melbourne, Victoria area.

Could be a red herring..... or maybe not!!

Thanks for the info though Sue, it still may prove useful.

Famous for offering help & advice

Maybe someone who knows more about Australian genealogy can find information from the registration #.....

Sue

spison

Quote Originally Posted by susan-y View Post
    Sue Ancestry has a death, but no date... Registration # 4565/79/w... I wonder why there is not a date mentioned?
    I think the year listed is the /79/ section of the reference that Sue has listed. This is a Victorian reference so you can have this death within minutes by purchasing the scanned copy of the register. (I haven't purchased so late a Victorian reference so hopefully someone will tell me if this is wrong.) You can search Victorian BDMs online but there is a charge to search but no charge if there is no result. Procat has a sticky on the forum at the beginning of the Australian Genealogy Section so take a look to see what our death certificates are like. They tend to be very informative if the informant knows the answers. The link to the address is in Procat's sticky.

On the down side Australia has NO CENSUS RECORDS after 1900 and sketchy ones before that - with the exception of 1828.

Jane

racing girl

Jane
    Thanks for that, but this is the info Sue sent me via pm:

Australia Death Index, 1787-1985 Australia Death Index, 1787-1985

Name: Bernard James Palmer Death Place: Western Australia Age: 76 Registration Place: Perth, Western Australia Registration number: 4565/79/w

Which says, Perth, WA not Victoria.

I know relatives from England visited Bernard at home in Australia in the summer of either 1979 or 1980, so he was still alive at that time.

Thanks for looking up the reference though.

Brenda

spison

Nothing in the Ryerson Index. Nothing likely on TROVE for Bernard Palmer or Bernard James Palmer. Someone who knows Victoria better may be more successful.
    Jane

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast