Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    lynn2405

Default Margaret Julia Tracey

My paternal grandma, Margaret Julia Tracey was allegedly born in London (not managed to locate birth cert yet, although got her marriage cert!) Her family seems to have originated in Ireland, specifically Co. Kerry. I'd love to know more about her (she died when I was a little girl) & maybe even find evidence to substantiate the family myth that Spencer Tracy was a distant relation!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hi, and welcome to the forums

I've copied the above post from the Surname Interests forum, where threads are automatically closed and can't be responded to.

If we could have a few more details from you about Margaret, it will be easier for our members to help.

mistybay

Please read my THREADS {Margaret Tracy} & {Elizabath Agnes Hughes - Carlisle}.
    To see if there is information that might be relavent to our Margaret??!!
    Maybe the moderator can hard link the threads, I'm not sure how.
    Last edited by Procat; 27-02-2012 at 5:58 AM. Reason: spelling

lynn2405

Exclamation more details on MJT

Hi
    First, many thanks, Kerrywood, for reposting this for me! I'm so sorry, Mistybay, my gran was born in London in about 1890, so they can't be the same person, but if I see anything useful during my searches, I'll post it on here; you never know! I have got Margaret Julia's parents' marriage cert (1887) & they were living in "Peabodys Buildings" (I put that in quotes as that's how it was written & I wonder if it was a local name for the flats & not the correct postal address?) I have also got her own marriage cert (1910); my grandad was born and brought up in Bury, Lancashire & that's where they got married & lived for the rest of their lives. They appear on the 1911 census & this is where we got the info of her being born in London. Her mum and dad were Nicholas Charles Tracey and Margaret Asley, but Nicholas was listed as deceased on Margaret Julia's wedding cert. I have a wedding cert also for Nicholas' mum & dad (1848; they were living at Lamb Court, London) and they appear on the 1861 census, which gives place of birth as Roscommon (Andrew) & Kelly Ireland (Julia). I assume "Kelly" is Kerry as her maiden name Bresnan/Breshnan/Brosnan (she couldn't write so we're not sure of the exact spelling)seems to originate from there. Sorry about posting so much but not sure what's useful & what's not!! Thanks again!

Loves to help with queries

As the marriage of Nicholas and Margaret was registered at Holborn, I had a look at Holborn births for a Margaret....second names were not always given or sometimes just given at baptism. A long shot is Margaret TRESADERY registered Sept qtr 1891....I've seen worse transcriptions!

good luck

Sue

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Thanks for the extra information.

Have you found Margaret Julia TRACEY in any census with her parents?

The 1871 for her supposed father Nicholas (aged 9) is presumably RG10/410 folio 91 page 29 (St Luke's, as TRACY), but I can't find him in 1881.

Quote Originally Posted by lynn2405 View Post
    I have got Margaret Julia's parents' marriage cert (1887)
    Can you please tell us Nicholas' occupation, and the occupations of both fathers, as given on the 1887 marriage certificate? Also the names of the witnesses?

I wonder if Nicholas TRACEY and Margaret (ASLEY) had split and regrouped after the 1887 marriage and before the 1891 census? There's a possible candidate for Nicholas (born St Luke's c1864) living with a Sarah in St Pancras in 1891, and in Newington in 1901. He is a Hammerman, which is why I wondered about the occupation on the marriage certificate. It's a distinctive combination of forename and surname.

1891 - RG12/124 folio 27 page 47 (Ancestry has indexed him as Vietolas TRACEY)
    1901 - RG13/385 folio 114 page 25
    (census records held by TNA, Crown copyright)

If by chance they had split and regrouped before Margaret Julia's birth, she might have been registered with a different surname.

& they were living in "Peabodys Buildings" (I put that in quotes as that's how it was written & I wonder if it was a local name for the flats & not the correct postal address?)
    There were (are) a large number of Peabody Buildings in London. Was this a Catholic marriage? If you can tell us the church, we may be able to pin down the address for you. Also, Margaret Julia may have been baptised at the same church?

Sorry about posting so much but not sure what's useful & what's not!!
    It's all useful -- the more details the better.

Famous for offering help & advice

I have been wondering about the 1893 marriage of a Nicholas Tracey, also in Holborn. There is a Sarah Mallett on the same page.
    I can't find a Margaret Tracey death though.

lynn2405

Thumbs up

With regard to censuses, I haven't found Margaret Julia on any with her parents but, thinking about it (& with respect to her dad's occupation) I suppose that could be because they were out of the country. He is listed as a soldier on his 1887 marriage cert. He was born in 1861 in the district of White Cross Street (parents' address given as Elizabeth Place). His dad was Andrew Tracey & I have found HIM on the census - guess what? Born in Ireland! I can find no other trace (apart from census listing as Andrew's wife) anywhere of his wife whose was Margaret Asley. Mind you, Nicholas' parents were illiterate so I suppose it's possible Margaret's parents were too (I have a wedding cert for Thomas Walker & Ellen Grogan which gives her surname as Groven. Well, if you couldn't read & write, you couldn't say it was wrong, could you? I find that so sad). Nicholas' dad (Andrew)was a pavior (as were lots of my forebears apparently!) Margaret's dad (Patrick Asley) was a farmer. Both dads were deceased in 1887. Nicholas & Margaret were married in St Joseph's Catholic Church, which I thought might be the one on Bunhill Row. (The marriage cert says "district of Holborn". Does that make sense? I suppose I am getting hung up on the details really as I do have Margaret Julia's marriage cert & I know when & where she died. I am very new to family history (only started last month, due to prompting from my cousin!) and I find the gaps SOOOOO frustrating! I can say that I imagine Margaret Julia's grandparents came over from Ireland due to the famine (Andrew & Margaret getting married in Whitechapel in 1848). Thanks to everyone for your help & suggestions - it's great to see an online community where everyone is so helpful to one another!

lynn2405

Thanks for this, but my grandma was a Walker by the time she died in Lancashire in 1958. I was just amazed that our family has a couple of generations in London when I was led to believe they went direct from Ireland to Lancashire!

lynn2405

Thanks for this Sumi, I think the date is too late, but the idea of inaccurate transcription is a good one, so I am now using that as a starting point. Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast