Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by lynn2405 View Post
    I am very new to family history (only started last month, due to prompting from my cousin!) and I find the gaps SOOOOO frustrating!
    It may be best to slow down a little, and try to fill the gaps as you go along. That way you can have more confidence that you are following the right family. Leaping over gaps can be dangerous.

Can we go back just one step further ... ?

I have also got her own marriage cert (1910) ... but Nicholas was listed as deceased on Margaret Julia's wedding cert.
    Is there an occupation recorded for Nicholas on this marriage certificate of 1910?

Is he recorded there as Nicholas, or as Nicholas Charles?

There is an army service record for a Nicholas TRACEY in the Royal Artillery, but there may be more than one person of that name. So it is important to get all the facts straight first.

lynn2405

Cool The elusive Margaret Julia

Thanks for the advice! I take your point about slowing down! Yesterday, I decided to go systematically through all the sites I have access to & look for all the people about whom I need to know more. And, yes, I found the military record for Nicholas! I know it is the same person, even though it just says Nicholas, as one of the docs has his wife's name (her full maiden name) as his next of kin. On their marriage cert & on Margaret Julia's marriage cert, he is shown as Nicholas Charles, but on his own birth cert & the census record of 1871, he is Nicholas. Mind you, I have considered the possibility that MJ also had just one Christian name at registration, so that's another avenue to explore! As to the Peabody Buildings address I have spoken to the historian at Peabody Trust & she said (with the wedding being at St Joseph's RC church) it was probably White Cross Street or Roscoe Street. I am finding that, just when I think I might lose heart, another little nugget turns up & keeps me digging!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I found the military record for Nicholas! I know it is the same person, even though it just says Nicholas, as one of the docs has his wife's name (her full maiden name) as his next of kin.
    Yes, I know the army record is for the Nicholas TRACEY who married Margaret ASLEY. That is not in doubt.

What concerned me earlier was whether this Nicholas TRACEY -- who served in the army and married Margaret ASLEY -- was also the father of your Margaret Julia TRACEY. Without a birth certificate for Margaret Julia, that is still not proven. There could be more than one Nicholas TRACEY.

On their marriage cert & on Margaret Julia's marriage cert, he is shown as Nicholas Charles
    Good. The use of the middle name Charles on the 1910 marriage certificate now makes the connection more likely, because the combination of names is more distinctive.

As a next step, you need to try to connect the information about Nicholas Charles TRACEY on the 1910 marriage certificate with the Nicholas TRACEY who has been found elsewhere.

So, can you please tell us what occupation (if any) is given for the 'deceased' Nicholas Charles on that 1910 marriage certificate? Perhaps we can match that up with other information?

I have spoken to the historian at Peabody Trust & she said (with the wedding being at St Joseph's RC church) it was probably White Cross Street or Roscoe Street.
    The location of Peabody Buildings is made clear in the army service record. If you look closely at the detail, you will see that these buildings were in Errol Street. A glance at a map will show you that this is indeed part of the complex of buildings off Whitecross Street (still there today).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12