Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    TreeChaser

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Why don't you apply for his army service record?
    I'm uncertain if this will help me find anymore information about him, unless they had to name a next of kin or someone at home on their applications. We already know where he served and around what times as we have his photo albums.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by TreeChaser View Post
    I already have it his mother was a Louie Mcdonald/Macdonald but there's two women of similar ages in the same area and he only appears in the 1911 census at the childrens home. And there's where I hit a deadend with his mother.
    Was that meant to be Louisa? Have you researched this one in the 1901 census:
    RG13,3697,28,6; Louisa MCDONALD, Housemaid (domestic) age 19, born manchester
    29 Richmond Grove, south manchester. Head of household Jane Russell.
    I think this one may be age 15. The other one in Prestwich age 19 born Manchester is found in Prestwich age 9 on the 1891 census. The only other Louisa MCDONALD that fits is age 5 in 1891. (birth reg. Mar 1886).
    I checked the Manchester records and nothing coming up, except a Louisa that was born in chorlton workhouse in 1888, but died in Mar qtr 1889.
    What was the address on the birth of Leonard? Any surnames mentioned in his photo album that may give a hint?
    As for service records, they often name next of kin, but it may just be a friend.

Reputation beyond repute

I'm uncertain if this will help me find any more information about him
    We never be sure what we're going to find until we look.

If it was me, I would want to follow up a potential source of valuable information. But it's not me so it's up to you to decide how seriously you want to approach it.

TreeChaser

Quote Originally Posted by Mona View Post
    Was that meant to be Louisa? Have you researched this one in the 1901 census:
    RG13,3697,28,6; Louisa MCDONALD, Housemaid (domestic) age 19, born manchester
    29 Richmond Grove, south manchester. Head of household Jane Russell.
    I think this one may be age 15. The other one in Prestwich age 19 born Manchester is found in Prestwich age 9 on the 1891 census. The only other Louisa MCDONALD that fits is age 5 in 1891. (birth reg. Mar 1886).
    I checked the Manchester records and nothing coming up, except a Louisa that was born in chorlton workhouse in 1888, but died in Mar qtr 1889.
    What was the address on the birth of Leonard? Any surnames mentioned in his photo album that may give a hint?
    As for service records, they often name next of kin, but it may just be a friend.
    Hi Mona,
    Leonard was Born 23rd January 1904 on 27 Stockport Road, Ardwick, Manchester but Louie's address was 15 Manor Street Ardwick, I don't know what this would mean.

I'm going to get the service records aswell I have all the forms ready to be filled in.

It means he was not born at home. In the 1903 Slater's Directory of Manchester, 27 Stockport Rd, Ardwick was
    Mrs. Ann Tytler, medical & surgical home for invalids.

.... and 15 Manor Street was Rescue Shelter for Women, Miss Agnes Fulton, matron.

TreeChaser

Quote Originally Posted by Mona View Post
    It means he was not born at home. In the 1903 Slater's Directory of Manchester, 27 Stockport Rd, Ardwick was
    Mrs. Ann Tytler, medical & surgical home for invalids.

.... and 15 Manor Street was Rescue Shelter for Women, Miss Agnes Fulton, matron.

Thanks Mona! Rescue Shelter for Women??? I've looked on G**gle maps and they look like regency properties so I was thinking she was a maid or something.

She may well have been working as a servant, but at nine months pregnant would no longer be kept on. This home would take in young women like her, give them a temporary home, probably better than the workhouse!

TreeChaser

Could there be a particular reason why she would have had Leonard somewhere else and not at home?

She had the child where the medical help was, probably.
    Back to her name. I thought when you put Louie for the mother's name, it was a typo for Louise or Louisa.... BUT
    there is a birth registration of a Louie MACDONALD in 1883, the name is the same on GRO and Lancsbmd. Sounds like a male name but there is a female Louie MACDONALD/MCDONALD that can be traced on the census.
    Is it clearly Louie on Leonard's birth certificate.? If so I will get back to you.

TreeChaser

Yes it's Louie and it looks like she was a Toy Dealer Assistant. I've also got a Marriage certificate for a Louie Mcdonald to John William Rogers in 1918 in Hulme she was born around 1886 and her father was James Mcdonald. I've found her in the 1901 census in Hulme with her father and two sisters but nothing before that, but then there's also the Louie born around 1883... it's all very confusing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast