Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Default James Barnabas Widden - a Butcher died 1928

The man named above was a self employed butcher. He married a 2nd cousin of mine - Elizabeth Ann Rowledge - on November 6, 1905.

I presume he had a shop in the area of his residence after they married. The address was 417 Caledonian Road, Holloway. He had at least 2 men working for him as journeymen Butchers as a well as a servant related to his wife.

The business was successful and when he died on June 20, 1928, he left an estate to his widow in the amount of almost 5,000GBP. They had no children

How can I find out more about the location of his place of business?

Colin

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    I presume he had a shop in the area of his residence after they married.
    Hughes' Business Directory of London 1921 shows the shop at this same address, 417 Caledonian Road.

If you look at the 1911 enumerator's list, 'Butcher's Shop, Mr Widden' is recorded against the schedule number.

Colin Rowledge

I would suspect that having been married to a successful businessman that, after his death, she invested wisely. They had no children and she never remarried to my knowledge. She died in Dacorum, Hertfordshire. She died in 1974 at the age of 95.

Jan1954

I would suspect that having been married to a successful businessman that, after his death, she invested wisely. They had no children and she never remarried to my knowledge. She died in Dacorum, Hertfordshire. She died in 1974 at the age of 95.
    Just in case you were not aware, Dacorum is Hemel Hempstead.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    Just in case you were not aware, Dacorum is Hemel Hempstead.
    When did it become Hemel Hempstead and how far is it away from Rickmansworth?

Answers may help with a further mystery that my dad has left me with!!!

Colin

v.wells

Oh dear Colin! We may never get over this next one!- PLEASE learn to use google maps! Hemel Hemstead has been so named for a long time and Rickmansworth is a bedroom commuity, much like Bronte or Port Credit is to Oakville.

And just because your lady married a buisnessman doesn't mean she invested wisely. You assume far too much!

Jan1954

When did it become Hemel Hempstead and how far is it away from Rickmansworth?

Answers may help with a further mystery that my dad has left me with!!!

Colin
    According to Wikipedia:
    The Borough of Dacorum is a local government district in Hertfordshire, England that includes the towns of Hemel Hempstead, Berkhamsted, Tring and Kings Langley. The district was formed in 1974, its name being taken from the old hundred of Dacorum which covered approximately the same area.

They are about 10 miles apart.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by v.wells View Post
    Oh dear Colin! We may never get over this next one!- PLEASE learn to use google maps! Hemel Hemstead has been so named for a long time and Rickmansworth is a bedroom commuity, much like Bronte or Port Credit is to Oakville.

And just because your lady married a buisnessman doesn't mean she invested wisely. You assume far too much!
    Nice to see you back in 'full throttle' and firing on 'all cylinders'.

I will admit that the computer and what it can do is beyond my limited capabilities - as my wife says "he is trying" - and this forum is proving that I can be 'very trying'.

Until i can get her will [if I wish to] I'll continue to 'assume' that she invested wisely.

v.wells

I admit to being bored! And you MUST learn something to do with computers.

"and if the circumstances are immaterial to this thread", why post? I think you are bored

Colin Rowledge

Can this thread be moved to a more appropriate forum? Middlesex forum, please.

I'm interested in his family and want to develop more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast