Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Olliecat,

Got it! There doesn't seem to be any doubt that this is Edith and I have some information on the child who didn't survive.

I take your comments about the inconsistency in Edith's status as either married or widowed. I would guess that in 1901 it is either the enumerator's mistake (transcription etc.) or that John had left Edith and she did not want to admit to that so thought it would save face to say she was a widow.

This broadens the time span for searching for her death - and that of John.

Audrey

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by AudreyF View Post
    This broadens the time span for searching for her death - and that of John.
    If Edith's maiden name was HENSON, then there is a birth registration in 1855 in the Worthing registration district. No middle initial. I can only find one death for an Edith HOWICK (without a middle initial) after 1911, born abt 1855 +/-5. However, it is in Kent.

Death Sep 1932 Tonbridge 2A 897
    HOWICK, Edith
    Age 77, est dob. 1855

Also, in case this helps, I made a stab at trying to eliminate John HOWICK deaths a day or so ago

Deaths for John HOWICK after 1881, born 1853 +/-5

Death Jun 1891 Wetherby, Yorkshire 9A 112
    HEWICK John, age 43, est dob. 1848.
    Possibly in the 1891 census in Tockwith. Born abt. 1850 in Tockwith. His wife is a widow in the 1901 census. (RG13/3522, f140, p10)

Death Jun 1902 Chertsey, Surrey 2A 34
    HOWICK John, age 53, est dob. 1849
    Possibly in the 1901 census in Chertsey, born abt. 1848 Thames Ditton Surrey (RG13/588, f7, p6 )

Death Sep 1914 Fareham, Hampshire 2B 629
    HOWICK John, age 63, est dob. 1851
    Possibly living in Fareham in 1911, born abt. 1851 in Northchapel, Sussex. (RG14/5663 SN106)

Death 1915. Corps: Middlesex Regiment
    HOWICK John. He was age 39, so born abt. 1876 (see the CWGC)

Death Mar 1923 Westhampnett, Sussex 2B 496
    HOWICK John, age 73, est dob. 1850

Death Mar 1939 Surrey South Western 2A 614
    HOWICK John, age 86, est dob. 1853

Naturally, I cannot say for sure that any of these are John HOWICKs are eliminated based purely on matching the registration district of each death with census data. The candidates in bold could do with further investigation. There is a John HOWICK in the 1911 census, born abt. 1850 in Graffham (Westhampnett registration district) but in 1911 he is living in Chichester. It is possible he went back to his place of origin and the death record in 1923 is his. So, not much closer to finding a death for your John.

Olliecat,

Henson as Edith's maiden name is not one of my hunches but I can try cross-checking that in the BMD index with John Howick's co-ordinates. Done that now and bingo! Edith Henson.

I have found the 1932 death in Tonbridge and am going to try tracking some of the children to see if they migrated to Tonbridge and she might have been living with one of them.

John was born in Yapton, Sussex and I have his baptism there on 3rd July 1853 so the two you have highlighted in bold are worth investigating a bit further. What would you suggest/advice, please.

Audrey
    Last edited by AudreyF; 12-02-2012 at 1:42 PM. Reason: New Information

Brick wall demolition expert!

I have found the 1932 death in Tonbridge and am going to try tracking some of the children to see if they migrated to Tonbridge and she might have been living with one of them.
    I'm sure you will spot this one for yourself but Edith's son Albert ending up in the Tonbridge area. WW1 service records for Albert Edward HOWICK can be viewed on Ancestry, Labour Corps, regimental number 285647. It mentions his wife and children's names; also that he was born in 1885 in Worthing and there is an address for him in Tunbridge Wells in Kent.

His marriage in the index...

Marriage Mar 1917 Tonbridge 2a 1414
    WORSELL Frances C
    HOWICK Albert E

A possible death for him...

Death Sep 1937 East Ashford, Kent
    HOWICK Albert E
    Age 52

Re-marriage and death of his wife?

Marriage Dec 1937 Tonbridge 2a 2426
    HOWICK Frances C
    GILES Herbert H

Deaths Jun 1954 Tonbridge 5b 815
    Frances C Giles
    Age 64

John was born in Yapton, Sussex and I have his baptism there on 3rd July 1853 so the two you have highlighted in bold are worth investigating a bit further. What would you suggest/advice, please.
    I would want to get hold of Edith's death certificate first; to see if it says something like "widow of ..."

Ollicat,

OK. It's probably worth ordering the certificate - that will take about two weeks to get to me here so I'll post up again when I have it to hand - just for your peace of mind or if I need more help. Watch this space!!

Audrey

Hello,

John Howick is still an itch I can't scratch! I looked for him in the electoral rolls/registers on Ancestry. I found a John Howick in Deptford in 1891 - the missing census year when his daughter (Catherine) was there as an 'adopted daughter'.

How can I try and cross-reference this John Howick with mine? I tried searching the 1891 census for Kent and then Deptford (or Lewisham - as they both appeared on the elector roll information) but neither Deptford nor Lewisham come up as an option. The address is 14 Creek Road and he's there in 1890, 1891 and 1892. Might not be my John, of course but worth a try?

Audrey

Name well known on Brit-Gen

14 Creek Road and he's there in 1890, 1891 and 1892.
    The 1891 census reference for this John HOWICK is RG12/494 folio 16 page 20. That part of the road is enumerated under Creek Street, St Paul Deptford, in 1891. Deptford is in London in 1891 (not Kent).

Not sure if he's yours, as I haven't been following this thread properly, sorry.

Kerrywood,

Thank you for finding that for me. It isn't my John but at least I can eliminate him - which is progress.

Audrey

I now have the 1932 death certificate for Edith Howick. The details are:

Date & Place: 2nd September 1932 at The Barracks, Maidstone Road, Hadlow, Tonbridge RD
    Name etc.: Edith Howick. Female. 77 years
    Occupation: Widow of Albert Howick a Printer. (The words 'Widow' and 'a' have definitely been written in a different hand and with a different pen.)
    Cause of Death: Hypostatic Pneumonia. Cerebral Embolism. No Post Mortem
    Informant: P. E. Howick. Son. Same address as place of death above.

So, this confuses things. The informant is, I'm sure Percy Enos Howick, Edith's younger son born in 1891. Edith's husband was John Howick - a printer. Albert was her son and not, so far as I know, a printer. Where I find him in records he seems to have been something to do with marine supplies.

Could Percy have confused his older brother with his father?

Audrey
    Last edited by AudreyF; 03-03-2012 at 2:53 PM. Reason: typing error

When I ordered the above death certificate for Edith I also ordered the marriage certificate for daughter Catherine to check on the possibility of her adoption and who she gave as her father when she married. I received the death certificate for Edith this morning and this afternoon have a message that I'm being refunded for the marriage certificate. Any ideas why this would be?

Audrey

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast