Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    lawsue

Default willam peel and ellen elliott

I have William Peel and wife Ellen on 1881 census listed with their children, Alfred, Arthur, Clara, William, Ellen and Albert. Listed also Thomas Hoskins his wife Laura Hoskins, Thomas Hoskins jnr along with the Duke family and the Chisolme family. The address, Truman 40 Nottingham St Mary. My dilemma is that on LDS IGI we have Clara aged 11 and Ellen jnr, 7 weeks old, listed as the children of William Peel and Laura Hoskins. Could someone have made a mistake when transcribing this information? Or do we have the makings of a very liberal arrangement here? I wasn't game to check the parentage of any other children in the household for fear of what might be found. Would also love to know what happened to William and Ellen. Some of her siblings went to America as Mormon converts and her son Alfred to Australia.
    Thanks, Sue

janbooth

Hello Sue,

Notts FHS Baptismal Index shows the following baptism at Nottingham St Mary to William & Ellen PEEL:

Born 7 April, baptised 3 May 1863 Eliza Ann PEEL

1861 census of Nottingham St Mary (RG9/2459, folio 34, page 34) shows:

Smith's Place

William PEEL Head Mar 21 Filling Smith Nottm
    Ellen do Wife Mar 19 do
    Elizabeth do Daur 1 mo? do

1871 census of St Mary, St Ann (RG10/3518, folio 61, page 61) shows:

40 Truman Street

William PEEL Head Mar 31 Filling Smith Nottingham
    Ellen do Wife Mar 30 do
    Alfred do Son 6 Scholar do
    Arthur do Son 3 do
    Eleaner do Daur 1 do

1871 census of Nottingham St Mary (RG10/3518, folio 86, page 39) shows:

112 Northumberland Street

Thomas HOSKINS Head Mar 54 Gardener Hinckley Leicester
    Mary do Wife Mar 54 Loughborough do
    Clara do Daur 21 Cap Maker Leicester
    Thomas do Son 16 Lace Maker do
    Mary Emily do Daur 13 Lace Worker Nottingham

There is a marriage registration in the March qtr 1872 at Nottingham reg district of a Thomas HOSKINS and one of the other names on the page is that of a Laura LEE.

Not that this helps with your dilemma as all the relevant baptisms seem to be missing! There is a death registration in the December qtr 1890 at Nottingham for a William PEEL, aged 51. Ellen herself is still in Nottingham in the 1891 census living at 32 Froggatt Street described as a widow together with children Arthur aged 23, Clara aged 21, William aged 19 and Albert aged 13. In the 1901 census Ellen is living at 18 West Street Nottingham with daughter Clara still unmarried. 1911 census shows the pair of them still together at 18 West Street Sneinton.

Will look for the other children now.

Janet

janbooth

I assume the daghter Eleaner shown in the 1871 census should actually be Clara - it actually looks more like Cleaver, sorry about that. I can't find Arthur after the 1891 census - perhaps he went abroad also? William is in the 1901 census of Aston, Warwickshire living at 3 Grafton Grove, Bourne Road together with wife Sarah and children Florence E aged 7 and Elsie aged 5. He is described (I think!) as a Kitchen Stove Fitter. There is a marriage registration in the March qtr 1893 at Nottingham reg district of a William PEEL and one of the other names on the page is that of a Sarah WOOLLEY. By the 1911 census, William & Sarah are living at 69 Bertram Road Smethwick with their children Florence Elizabeth, Elsie and Dorthy Ellen and he is now described as a General Fitter.

Albert is in the 1901 census of Nottingham living at 51 Westwood Road with wife Annie aged 23 and Sister in Law Lily DAYKIN aged 18. Their marriage was registered in the June qtr 1900 at Nottingham reg district, her full name being Annie Elizabeth DAYKIN. His profession is shown as a House Painter. By the 1911 census, Albert & Annie are living in 68 Lamartine Street Nottingham, together with children Elsie aged 7 and Dorothy aged 1.

There is a death registration for an Ellen PEEL in the December qtr 1912 at Nottingham reg district, aged 71. Also a death registration for what looks like daughter Ellen in the December qtr 1884 at Nottingham reg district, aged 3.

Hope this puts a bit more flesh on the bones for you.

Janet

lawsue

Many thanks to you all. Now I think I know where I'm heading and also will not have any more naughty thoughts of our William's character. The information you have given is what I was after. Thanks again.
    Sue

TonyProctor

That's a good one Sue :-)

The family are still at the same address in 1871, although Clara's name has been transcribed as Cleaver by FmP (it does look a little like that).

The NottsFHS Baptisms seems to show him and Ellen living at Millstone Lane when an Eliza Ann was born to them on 1863-05-03 (Bpt: 1863-04-07). There don't seem to be any other baptism matches for them on there. Also, I can't see any for a William Peel and Laura <anyone>, or <anyone> and Laura Hoskins.

However, I decided to check LDS myself and I don't see any equivalent baptisms there either. Can you show the results you got Sue?

Tony

lawsue

Thanks for that, but here is what I found on LDS
    IGI Individual Record
    Ellen Peel Birth 1881 Nottingham
    Father: William Peel
    Mother: Laura Hoskins
    batch U000955
    IGI Individual Record
    Clara Peel
    Birth: 1870 Nottingham
    Father: Willam Peel
    Mother: Laura Hoskins
    Batch U000955
    That's all the info on there about these two.
    I know that LDS do a wonderful job, but it just proves that you must follow up with your own research.Which is what I love about you guys over there. I don't know what we did before the days of GOOGLE and I don't subscribe to any genealogy research businesses, so this is why I sometimes need your help.
    All are listed correctly on 1881 census, but I guess you know that. It is just the individual reports that had me a bit concerned.
    Thank you Tony.
    Sue

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by lawsue View Post
    batch U000955
    Sounds a bit dodgy to me. Mysteriously, there's no mention of 'U' batch numbers in the LDS's own guide to batch numbers:

https://www.
    familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/IGI_Batch_Number_Descriptions

TonyProctor

This is bizarre. I go to familysearch.org, I type in Clara Peel as the name, and just Nottingham as the Place, and it finds no baptisms - only census records. If I select 'Any Event' in Nottingham then it's the same, and also if I untick the 'Exact matches'.

I was hoping you were going to say that you found that data in a submitted pedigree rather than LDS's own records. I've seen lots of errors in other people's pedigrees on there.

I would definitely get a copy of the birth certs from the GRO in UK Sue. I can't imagine any transcription error that would just happen to get the same name as the other household member in 1881.

morbri

Hello Sue,
    I have just joined this forum and noticed you are seeking information regarding William Peel and Ellen Elliott. They are my my 3 x grandparents. I am descended from Alfred their son who migrated to Australia in 1883. Clara (his sister) died a spinster. I have a lot of information on the Peels if you are interested.
    Regards Maureen Clarke (nee Peel)

lawsue

Hi Maureen,
    I think I tried to contact you some time ago through another forum. My husband is the great grandson of Alfred through his daughter, May. I am also in the throngs of putting together what I have on Alfred and Sarah. On my profile here, you will find access to my email.
    Please feel free to contact me and we can go from there.
    Regards, Sue (a Peel by default)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast