Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    sprout

Default William Thurman/Thorman of Nottingham

My great great great grandfather, William Thurman/Thorman was baptised in Mansfield, Nottingham in 1788. He is well documented in 1841 & 1851 censuses living with his wife Sarah and family. There is also parish register evidence of the baptisms of their children also in Mansfield. However, his wife is shown on the 1851 census as coming from Leicester/Leicestershire? and I can find no trace of the marriage. Any pointers to help would be gratefully received.

Brick wall demolition expert!

There are a number of William Thurman/Thorman marriages on the IGI in the right sort of time frame and in Leicester or Nottingham but sadly none to a Sarah.

Have you researched the baptisms you mention for any clues.

They might not have been married. She may have adopted using a different Christian name.
    Or of course, the IGI might not have their records.

sprout

Thank you for your response. I found the same as you did on IGI with a similar result no matter how many variations of Thurman I tried! At present I only have the nfhs disc of transcriptions showing me the baptisms but I plan to make a trip to Nottingham to look at the registers themselves, which may just possibly reveal more. We live some 80 miles away so I can't just 'pop in' to the archives. Sadly, at the end of the day I acknowledge that, as you say, they may never have married - but I am not giving up hope yet. Thanks again.

Jiffie

I may be completely wrong here, but is it possible that William and Sarah married late in life? I have found a marriage for William Thurman and Sarah Hurst in (2nd qtr) 1851 in Mansfield Vol 15 page 831 using free BMD. this would make William 63 and Sarah 68.

Apologies if I've got it wrong
    Jiffie

sprout

Thank you Jiffie. I too thought that might be a possibility and even sent for the marriage certificate but it turned out to be a false trail. No apologies necessary - I am just grateful that people are trying to help!

janbooth

More negative information, I'm afraid. I have had a look on the Notts FHS Marriage Index for the period 1800-1825 and could not find a marriage for William THURMAN/THORMAN to a Sarah.

Janet

birdlip

Is this one a possibility?

William FORMAN/ Sarah BALEY 15 Oct 1807 Breedon on the Hill, Leicestershire.

birdlip

Nope...forget it, they were still baptising children at Breedon on the Hill in 1825.

sprout

Thank you for looking. I have found the same thing. I am afraid it could well be a Leicestershire marriage and I haven't the faintest idea where to start looking!

I have built a Thurman family tree but do not have the Mansfield side covered. If you go further back I might be able to help.

I assume that you have no resolution to this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast