ginny

Default Prison hulk Dolphin

Hi everyone
    My apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place and if I have I will thank the moderator in advance for moving it.

I have just discovered that my ancestor Peter Alcock was sent to the prison hulk Dolphin before his transportation to Australia in 1830. I am aware of the details of his trial and his transportation on the Marquis of Huntley, and am wondering whether the prison hulk register gives any further details. Is there anyone who has access to the details who can help me? I would be very, very, very grateful.
    Ginny

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

Dolphin was originally launched as an East Indiaman named Admiral Rainier, which the Navy bought and renamed HMS Hindostan. The Admiralty purchased her in 1804 for service as a 50-gun Fourth-rate. She was converted into a 20-gun storeship in 1811. She was renamed again in 1819 as Dolphin, and once more in 1831 as Justitia, when she became a prison hulk. She was finally sold in 1855.

Years in service. 1824 - 1830.

From Wikipedia.

https://
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Hindostan_(1804)

Steve.
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 23-01-2012 at 11:00 PM. Reason: removed live link to site requesting donations

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by ginny View Post
    wondering whether the prison hulk register gives any further details.
    HO 9/1 - Convict hulks moored at Chatham: Ganymede, Dolphin and Cumberland: Register of prisoners (record held by TNA, Crown copyright)

Index
    Name - Peter Allcock
    Page - 122
    Character from Gaoler - Character Disposition, Connexions & former course of Life very bad. Several times in prison on charges of Felony

page 122
    Dolphin
    Received from Chester Gaol, 5 Feb 1830
    No. - 10
    Name - Peter Allcock
    Age - 29
    Offence - Stealing Cheese
    When convicted - 11 January 1830
    Where convicted - Chester Sessions
    Sentence - Life
    How & When Discharged - NSW, 29 Mar 1830

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    Several times in prison on charges of Felony ...
    There's some discrepant reporting as regards an earlier sentence ...

The Standard (London), 15 April 1829
    Cheshire, April 13
    Daring Burglary and Brutal Violence
    Samuel Patterson, aged 26, John Alcock, aged 19, Peter Alcock, aged 28, James Walker, aged 25, John Bostock, aged 33, and John Lear, aged 21, were indicted for burglariously breaking into the dwelling-house of the Rev. Matthew Bloor, at Stublish, near Middlewich, in this county, stealing therein divers goods and chattels, his property. The jury found Patterson and Lear Guilty, and acquitted the others. The learned judge immediately proceeded to pass the awful sentence of Death. Their days were numbered, and no hope of mercy could be held out to them here.

Liverpool Mercury, 24 April 1829
    Assize Intelligence. -- At the Chester Assizes, Samuel Patterson, 26; John Alcock, 19; Peter Alcock, 28; James Walker, 25; John Bostock, 33; and John Lear, 21, were convicted and sentenced to death for a burglary in the house of the Rev. Matthew Bloor, near Middlewich, who narrowly escaped with his life from the barbarous and brutal conduct of the prisoners. The Judge held out no hope of mercy.

ginny

Thank you very much Steve. I appreciate your help. Everything adds to my database.
    Ginny

ginny

Thank you very mucch Kerrywood. Just what I wanted to know. I really appreciate your help.
    Ginny

ginny

Again thank you very much Kerrywood. It is interesting to see that there are conflicting reports in different newspapers. I think that the London Standard is the more accurate version. Patterson and Lear were hanged.
    Ginny

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Ginny,
    I have just joined British-Genealogy.com as your post came up on a search I did on Google. My husband's ancestor is also Peter Alcock. I am writing about him for a assignment I have for a subject I'm studying. There is quite a lot about him on Ancestry.com. One of Len's cousins did a lot of research when he was posted to England. He is in the Airforce.
    Len is descended from Sarah Alcock, one of Peter's children born in Australia. Would very much like to exchange information with you.
    I have a copy of the Spring Assizes in Chester where JOhn and Peter Alcock were found not guilty of burglary. They are the last two on the page but above them is Samuel Patterson and a Thomas Skellern (not sure if this surname is correct) who were both sentenced to death. In the comments section Thomas's sentence was changed to transportation for life. Samuel has a comment written in on the 1st May 1829 but I cannot read it. The crime listed is Burglary for Thomas with ditto for the next three which I assume means they committed the crime together. I wonder if the other men mentioned in the newspaper article are on the next page. Will try to find this.

My son is currently living in Compton, Surrey and I hope to visit him next year.
    Cheers
    Cynthia

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by Lenthia View Post
    Hi Ginny,
    Samuel has a comment written in on the 1st May 1829 but I cannot read it.

Cynthia
    Free Pardon 1st May 1829