sandram246

Default Porte from Beverley

Can anyone help me please I am researching my Fathers side of the family and have managed to get back to late 1700/ 1800's with this side of the family but have now hit a brick wall. I have William Porte who died 1840 in Beverly but I can not find any birth records for him I do know he married Mary Hurd Battee b 1797 from South Dalton in 1825. I am lead to believe that this side of the family originate from France/Spain and am now at the point where I think maybe this is where the Porte family arrived in England. Can anybody help point me in the direction where to go next as to trying to find out if this is so and how do I go about searching immigrants into this country. Any help or advice would be gratefully received.
    Sandra

Jan1954

Hello Sandra - welcome to Brit-Gen,

Just so that we can all have a rummage, please would you provide some further information?
    Quote Originally Posted by sandram246 View Post
    I have William Porte who died 1840 in Beverly but I can not find any birth records for him I do know he married Mary Hurd Battee b 1797 from South Dalton in 1825. Sandra
    Do you have William's death certificate? If so, how old was he when he died? If not, what is your source for his death?

Do you have a copy of the marriage certificate? If so, how old were William and Mary when they married? What were their fathers' names and occupations?

Sorry for the questions, but the more information that we have, the better placed we will be to try to help.

sandram246

Default Porte from Beverley

Hi Jan
    thank you for getting back to me I only have a small amount of info which I sourced from a public tree on Ancestry which gives the details of only William death as 1840 in Beverley and his marriage to Mary Hurd Battee who married in 1825 Sculcoates and she died in 1879. We have been given information via a distant family member since posting this thread that The family came to this country due to the Persecution of the Hugenots between 1724 -1764 during the reign of Louis XV sorry if this has confused you but it has totally confused me, if any one can help please help me. Many thanks Sandra

Jan1954

Hello Sandra,

Please beware of other peoples' trees - especially if the sources are not quoted. There is a lot of misinformation out there! Best action is to check for yourself and to substantiate everything with certificates, census records and the like.

Meanwhile, I can see that there is a marriage recorded of William PORTE to Mary Hurd BATTEE on Family Search (IGI) for 28th June 1825 in Sculcoates. As this has been extracted from parish records, it should be reliable. Have a read of this guide to Family Search.

I have had a look on FreeBMD to see if there is a death registration for William in 1840, but none is listed. However, there is a death registration in the September quarter of 1854, Beverley registration district, volume 9d, page 75. Certificate copies can be ordered from the GRO here.

However, before you start spending your hard-earned money, a check on the 1851 census to see if this could be your William PORTE would be wise. A look to see what has happened to Mary in this census would also be in order. I have found a possible death for her: Mary PORTE, June quarter of 1879, Beverley district, volume 9d, page 77. As the age at death is recorded as being 81, this would tie in with her having been born in 1797/8 or thereabouts.

sandram246

HI THANK YOU FOR REPLYING I HAVE CHECKED THIS INFO WITH MY UNCLE AND THIS IS CORRECT I NOW NEED TO KNOW HOW TO TRACE HOW THEY CAME OVER FROM FRANCE AND WHEN HAVE YOU ANY IDEAS HOW I DO THIS THANK YOU FOR NOW SANDRA

Jan1954

The family came to this country due to the Persecution of the Hugenots between 1724 -1764
    Hello again Sandra,

Have you been in contact with The Huguenot Society? They are the experts and can point you in the right direction in which to look.

sandram246

Default thank you

Quote Originally Posted by notanotherminer View Post
    Hi Sandra and welcome to Brit-Gen

Assuming that your distant relative is correct and the family did come over from France between 1724 and 1764 you are still missing a couple of generations.

The first step would be to try and confirm William's death and hope that this would enable you to find his birth. If you work on the possibility that he was of a similar age to Mary then it would be more likely that it was his grandparents (or even gt.grandparents) who came over from France. You need to build a proven trail back to these early arrivals and once you have an identifiable person the Huguenot Society would be better placed to advise you.
    thank you for your help the only reason i thought i could not find his birth was he maybe was born in france before they came here what do you think ?

sandram246

Hi Jan thank you very much for help i will let you know how i get on sandra

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I only have a small amount of info which I sourced from a public tree on Ancestry which gives the details of only William death as 1840 in Beverley
    The death certificate will give his age, and that should help you find his birth.

The death is in the GRO index, though apparently not transcribed by FreeBMD.

Deaths
    Sep Qtr 1840
    PORTE William
    Beverley vol 23 page 3

You can order the death certificate in the usual way from the GRO. Do ask if you need help with ordering.

sandram246

thank you very much for your help sandra