Chatsworth42

Default Help with a North Yorks search ?

Hello. I am searching from afar and wonder if there is anyone living in Cayton, just outside Scarborough, north Yorks who could answer this query please?
    - I am trying to link people listed in the 1881 Census at "10, Wheatcroft Cottage, Filey Road, Cayton" with others in 1901 listed at "30 Town Street, Cayton"
    Are these two places close to each other and do the streets still exist? Google Earth only shows me caravans on Filey Road!
    Thanks, if you can help me it will be much appreciated :-))

Nicolina

There are lots of houses along Filey Road. I'm not familiar with Town Street. Maybe it's what is now Main Street. Cayton isn't a very big place although there has been a lot of development over the last 100 years.

Reputation beyond repute

You can get a good idea of the relative locations of streets by following the enumerator's walk. For example in 1881, see book 8 starting at The National Archives; RG 11/4801 f 106.

Look for landmarks such as pubs and churches. For example in 1881, there is a Blacksmiths Arms in Town Street, Cayton. A quick Google reveals that the current address of the Blacksmiths Arms is Main Street, Cayton.

Main Street and Filey Road, Cayton can easily be found on a map. I find Streetmap.co.uk to be good for finding street names.

dawnkaren

try using
    www.
    old-maps.co.uk and you should get your answers
    Last edited by notanotherminer; 07-01-2012 at 9:40 AM. Reason: edited direct link to commercial website. Please see our Terms and Conditions