Patti44

Default McDonnel in Kilkenny

I have tried and got nowhere ti find this pair,Eliza Mcdonnell married James Speck and had Maryanne Speck in Kilkenny in 1869,the couple were married in 1868,but I cant find them,he was in the Army and went all over the place,but was originally from Wiltshire.Just where would I start please,if anyone can point me in the right direction,I have Ancestry sub and find my past but not found Elizas marriage.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

As you will have seen, his army service record gives the date of marriage as 14 August 1868 in Templemore.

Have you tried searching the Irish Civil Registration index on FamilySearch?

Otherwise, there is always a chance that the marriage might be recorded in the unindexed Regimental Marriage registers held by the GRO (no online access). As you know James SPECK's regiment, you could try asking for a GRO search using the Overseas certificate order form. If they don't find the marriage, they will refund your fee.

obbie

rootsireland has her birth
    Civil Birth Speck Marian 1869 Co. Kilkenny
    by searching by fathers first name we also get
    Church Baptism Speck George James 1871 Co. Kildare (probaly army camp the curragh)
    hit advanced button put in mothers maiden name search and you get both children cost 8 euros

family search has her birth
    Maryanne
    gender Female
    baptism/christening place
    620, KILKENNY, KILK, IRE
    birth date 22 May 1869
    birthplace
    Kilkenny, Kilk, Ire
    father's name James Speck
    mother's name Eliza Mc Donnell

Mary Anne Speck Date of Registration: 1869 Registration district: Kilkenny Birth Country: Ireland Volume: 8 Page: 620 i assume you already have ? can be got from roscommon gro for 4 euros (but probaly same record as civil birth found on rootdireland site )

there marriage i cant find
    have you searched army marriages over seas ?
    have you his army record ?
    was his surname always spelt speck ?
    was he in ireland 1868 or could he have married overseas and moved to ireland bit of a coincidence shes from kilkenny and they move there and first child born there though

id get both her birth and her brothers baptism to see if any of her kins name on as witnesses

good luck in your research

obbie

i hadnt seen kerrywoods reply
    as you know they wed in tipperary 1868 i searched rootsireland no speck or eliza-beth mcdonnell or spellings of wed 1868
    so its reg marriages overseas i had a quick look but cant see onless his surname misspelt ?
    goodluck

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Just to clarify, I'm not suggesting the Overseas marriages as such, but the unindexed Regimental Marriage registers.

These are kept at the GRO, and there is no online access.

The GRO will make a search on your behalf. To request this you need to use the standard GRO Overseas certificate order form, but you must state his regiment and specify that you want a search of the Regimental Marriage registers.

In my experience they sometimes search the wrong thing and you then have to re-submit, so it may take two attempts. But it is a no find/no fee scenario, so you can't lose.

Patti44

Thank you all so much for the information, I could read the marriage place from the Army Records so thats great,I have lots to look for now,many many thanks.And the brother is new to me too !