Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Waitabit...do I need more than the basic sub to find the tree on ancestry? Or am I just a

The trees which I have found only seem to include people connected to Australia.

I am still all at sea as to how Mary fits in but sure working on it with coffee and Panadol on the side!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Leave off the panadol love, curb the excitermenta, breathe deeply & start again. Dob a little lavender oil on the temples (yours) & click on Public Member trees then key in eitherJohn F RAttay or Edith Friend . I now have (until the months end) world access so it will come up for me anyway, but this way should find it for you. If not, mayhap we can sort out a way to geet contact for you.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

One lunch, neck rub and cup of coffee later and I am back!
    The only tree I have found so far on ancestry is the Pearson Tree which unfortunately only goes as far as Mary Rennie with no further information.
    With a few references in England to Kent I am wondering if the connection comes through the Prescott side of my father's family and not the McCullough. My great x3 gandfather was a Prescott who came out here in 1827from Ringwould, Kent. Or I have an English COX also which may be possible.
    Oh dear what a can of worms... So far I have not joined any dots but... early days!
    Thanks again for the help. I will persevere!

re my thinking aloud in last post.

found on the https://
    wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=AHN&db=wilsongene&id=I25859

ID: I14268
    Name: Edith Jane Friend 1
    Sex: F
    Birth: ABT FEB 1859 in Brighton, Sussex, England
    Death: AFT 1920
    Note: daughter of Jacob Friend and Mary Prescott? (m Dover 1846)

Thank you soooo much...by george we've got it. And starting with such vague information.
    Ladies you are brilliant. (and I am sure the lavendar helped a lot too Wendy!)

Mary's grandmother was a Prescott , my father's grandmother was a Prescott. I think we have one generation difference here as I think Mary's grandmother was brother of Henry Prescott who came her in 1827 however my dad's grandmother Prescott was his daughter.
    A little more checking to do but problem solved!
    Now all I have to do is find this mysterious Edna cousin in England!! Should be a cinch now.

Ok I now have the family sorted..sort of!
    It all fits together and found Mary Prescott/Friend at home with Richard and Mary Prescott parents of my Henry Prescott who cameout here in 1827.
    Mary born circa 1820 Dover and Jacob born circa 1821 Shepherds Wall Kent.

However I can only find the family in 1871 and Mary the mother is missing even though Jacob a greengrocer is listed as married.
    Edith is there with Louisa unmarried and Fanny married. They are living in Brighton, Sussex.

I just cannot find the family in 1851,1861 or 1881.

Maybe FMP has a better account of the family if someone could be so kind as to check for me.

No better luck with FMP. Using variants for both names 1841, 2 x Jacob Friend, 1871, 1x Jacob friend (yours) Nothing on any other census. Tried searching for Edith and Louisa - nothing.
    Looks as if both Louisa and Edith had middle names
    Births
    Louisa Ann Friend Steyning Dec 1/4 1856 vol 2b page 217
    Edith jane Friend Brighton March 1/4 1859 vol 2b page 233
    Oops you already had this.

I'll take another look and see if I can dig something up on the other censuses

1881 Canadian census
    District, Peterborough East
    Subdistrict, Ashburnham
    Jacob Friend 61 born England occupation painter
    Mary Friend 61
    Louisa A Friend 24
    George S Overton 10

Jacob Friend age 68
    Death date 30 Jan 1888
    Peterborough
    Est. birth Year abt 1820
    Birth place England

Using ancestry with just name and date of birth of person all boxes unticked. Do you have full sub?

Thank you so much Christanel. Just imagine that.... they up and went to Canada at that age.
    There was a family story that one of my ancestors came to Australia and another brother went to America.
    Well this is the real story. My great great grandfather Henry Prescott came to Australia in 1827 but looks as if his sister then went to Canada between 1871 and 1881.
    Perhaps the reason that Mary is missing in 1871 is that she had already gone to Canada.
    George Overton is a grandson I wonder what happened to his parents.
    No unfortunatley I do not have a full sub which is annoying. I am so grateful for the help I have recieved from the generous people who do however.
    Thanks so much for your help, the jigsaw is almost complete and yesterday I knew nothing about this family!!

Hi Dargie
    I didn't know what you had so held off posting. I did see a couple of other things so will go and look them up again and post them.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast