Thread: boer war medals

bev833

Default boer war medals

My Uncle Alfred John Gregory 8980 served in the 32nd coy Imperial Yoemanry from Jan 1900 to May 1900 when he died of Entric fever would he have been intitled to a Q.S.M. and if so would there be any record of this . bev833

Geoffers

The medal rolls for the South African (Boer) War are held at The National Archives (TNA) at Kew. They are held in document class WO100.
    I don't know the qualifying period of time for the medal to be awarded and would presume that the next-of-kin would have to make application for the medal.

Reputation beyond repute

For the Imperial Yeomanry, see in particular para 4 of this National Archives Research Guide...
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...sLeafletID=147

and note the link to the third party site for Kevin Asplin
    Last edited by Jan1954; 27-04-2008 at 5:17 PM. Reason: Commercial link

bev833

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    The medal rolls for the South African (Boer) War are held at The National Archives (TNA) at Kew. They are held in document class WO100.
    I don't know the qualifying period of time for the medal to be awarded and would presume that the next-of-kin would have to make application for the medal.
    thanks very much for your help will give it ago bev833

bev833

[QUOTE=Peter Goodey;147063]For the Imperial Yeomanry, see in particular para 4 of this National Archives Research Guide...
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...sLeafletID=147

thanks for e-mail address i will give it a go and let you know how i get on thanks again bev833
    Last edited by Guest; 27-04-2008 at 6:44 PM. Reason: Link to commercial site

ladysmith

Default Alfred John Gregory

Bev - 8980 Pte. Alfred John Gregory, 32nd Company Imperial Yeomanry, was entitled to the Queen's South Africa Medal with clasp Cape Colony. He died of disease at Boshof 19/5/1900. He is buried at Boshof Town Cemetery and his grave is marked by a metal cross. The 32nd Company were the Lancashire Hussars.

His attestation and service papers survive in series WO 128 at the National Archives. For the IY these typically consist of 4 pages. It would be worthwhile getting a researcher to dig copies out for you. I recommend K. A. who does my research. He can be reached via his website link given in an earlier answer.

Regards, David

Reputation beyond repute

I don't believe you need a researcher to extract records from HO 128 if you have the man's number. The records in that series are filed in order of regimental number.

You can locate the right piece number from the catalogue - and it looks to me as if it's WO 128/29.

You can then order it through Shop Online
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/r...e=ddmenu_shop3

ladysmith

Peter - You're quite correct. However, I used the online ordering facility once and it was a disaster so never again. I ordered a specific man's papers and after two weeks received 5 sets of papers, none of which were those of the man I wanted. From my own experience, K.A. is much faster, infinitely more reliable and not expensive. The main thing is to avoid hiring a general genealogical researcher for military research as (again from my own experience) many of them charge high fees for their time even if they don't come up with anything. Not infrequently this is simply because they don't know everywhere to look.

Regards, David

Reputation beyond repute

On the other hand, I've never had any trouble at all with shop online and always found the service economical and reliable.

daggers

Picking up late on this thread - AJ Gregory's regimental number was 8980 and he did qualify for the QSA medal. Message sent to Bev now.
    D