Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    bergman93

Question Bigamy - TOBIN, Hartlepool

Hi all, new girl here. I'm trying to trace the marriage of my Mum and Father. He was a bit naughty in that when he married my mum he already had a wife in Suez, Egypt! of all places. Anyway, I know he was a bigamist, but whether he committed bigamy by marrying my Mum or some other poor soul isn't clear. I was always told that the authorities knocked on the door for him, he was arrested and taken to court. I don't know whether this 'crime' would be punishable by a prison sentence or a fine or what. I can't find any marriage certificate which proves this nor any other information. I'm not sure when this offence took place, probably in the early 1950's, before say 1954. I was always led to believe he was arrested at some stage during my mum's pregnancy, but I don't know how true this is albeit it seems credible. I'd like some help on
    1. Finding a record of the 2nd marriage.
    2. Finding proof of the offence.
    3. Anything which connects this man to me.
    There are still members of the family around who knew him, knew where he lived and with who. But they aren't old enough to have been party to the information I'm looking for. As I understand it all marriages are recorded, but certificates are not necessarily available, some bigamous marriages slip through the net, don't think this one has. Also criminal records are closed for 75 years, I'll be too old to care by then!!! Any information tit bit is welcome. It's more than I have right now.
    Heres hopeful Bergman93

Brick wall demolition expert!

This is a link to FreeBMD which as it infers is free
    BMD stands for births, marriages and deaths and all of these since 1837 have been registered

While FreeBMD is not complete I just checked a known 1946 entry and that was there

https://www.
    freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
    Last edited by notanotherminer; 18-12-2011 at 2:23 PM. Reason: Edited direct link. FreeBMD contains advertising links to commercial websites

bergman93

Thank you for responding. I'm sorry I didn't say, but both my parents have died. I subscribe to both Ancestry and Find My Past, but I'm unable to find the marriage to my Mother.
    Father - Philip Tobin b1914 Hartlepool
    Served in the Merchant Navy, hence the marriage in Egypt I suppose (I have the certificate for this!)
    Mother Mary Elizabeth Watson, nee Randall b1910 Penrhiwceiber, Glamorgan
    Both were living in Luton, Bedfordshire at the time of the marriage.
    I have found another marriage for Philip Tobin, but this was in 1963 in Luton to someone else, I'm presuming he was either a widower or had divorced the woman he married in Egypt by this time! But you never can tell!!!
    Bergman93

bergman93

Thank you Raffaele for the information, but I can't even find my own marriage (I just checked!) and I have looked again for the bigamous marriage, no luck. I've been looking for this for around 10 years now, spending weeks looking and searching and then leaving it for a year or so and going back, maybe I'm asking the wrong question, or possibly the right question in the wrong way. I've done that before, but like I said I have read that bigamous marriages aren't available for public scrutiny. This is why I thought I'd try the criminal offence route.

I checked the marriages at findmypast which are fully searchable. There is no marriage of a Philip Tobin to a Watson.

FreeBMD has this flawed record

Marriages Dec 1946
    Brown Mary E Harrower Luton 4a 380
    Harrower Lindsay P Brown Luton 4a 380
    Harrower Lindsay P Watson Luton 4a 380
    Hilditch Sidney Payne Luton 4a 380
    Payne Joyce B Hilditch Luton 4a 380
    Watson Mary E Harrower Luton 4a 380

According to this Lindsay P Harrower married Mary E Brown and Mary E Watson
    Something is very clearly wrong and provokes the thought that the name was mistranscribed.
    If so, then should it have been Philip Tobin.

I did check the originals which are GRO indexes and they do show exactly what is above.
    It could be worth ordering a certificate specifying the parties or a visit to Luton Register office

Reputation beyond repute

I can see a marriage in Suez, Egypt in 1941-45 of a Philip Tobin.

Is this the marriage you're referring to? If so, do you have the certificate?

Also I would have thought the 1963 certificate was something you ought to have.

Reputation beyond repute

Something is very clearly wrong
    Not necessarily. This is the standard way of indexing a marriage where the bride gave her name as Mary E Watson otherwise Brown, for example.

It's worth getting the certificate in any case.

judyg

Hi Bergman93
    Not only is there no marriage recorded for Mary Watson/Randell and Philip Tobin there are no births recorded to this couple.

There are several Watson births with mother’s maiden name Randell recorded.

Do you have a copy of your own birth certificate? Does it give the name Tobin as father?

Given that ‘family stories’ usually have a nugget of truth at their core, but tend to suffer from the “Chinese Whisper” syndrome, could it be that Mary & Philip were only living together at the time of your birth? If the 1963 Luton marriage is for the correct Philip, could this be the marriage he got charged with bigamy for?

Cheers
    Judyg

Reputation beyond repute

Not only is there no marriage recorded for Mary Watson/Randell and Philip Tobin there are no births recorded to this couple.
    I can't see anything either. Not being able to spot a birth is a bit puzzling particularly in view of what the questioner wrote in message #4.

We definitely need more information from her if we are going to be able to help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast