whymeonlyme

Default Charles Smith, Bargeman born abt 1796

I am trying to find out more about a Charles Smith, Bargeman, born abt 1796, father of:
    Elisa Smith b 1817
    Matilda Smith 1818 – 1866
    Charles Thomas Smith b 1821
    by Mary (maiden name unknown); all baptised in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfordshire, England.

Daughter Matilda's marriage certificate to William Salmon (also a bargeman) in 1840 says she was living in Lea Bridge at that time and that her father was a bargeman.

A Charles Smith Bargeman appears in 1841 census with James Phipps in Stepney, Middlesex. It appears from other census records that the Salmon and Phipps families frequently worked together, particularly in the Bishops Stortford / Ware area of Hertfordshire.

I do not know where Charles Smith was born (but if the 1841 census is correct then it was not in the county of Middlesex, quite possibly Hertfordshire, although there were other Smith Barge families in Rotherhithe, Surrey).

Any further suggestions or assistance would be much appreciated!

ansonfish

I have some information on Charles Salmon who was the son of William and Matilda. He went on to have a very successful career in the Royal Navy.

whymeonlyme

Thanks Ian; I have a reasonable amount on Captain Charles Salmon RN JP MICE, but I have been struggling to find out more about this man Charles Smith; who I believe to be Charles Salmon's maternal grandfather.

Thanks
    Alan