Thread: Eliza Dally

Chris Bass

Question Eliza Dally

Hi
    I am trying to find Eliza Dally's maiden name and any other information I can about her. I know she married Charles Robert Bass (b. Dec 1857) September 1911 in Saffron Walden,Essex she was his second wife. She herself was I believe a widow (of Benjamin Dally I belive) but I cannot find her marriage to him - only appears in census' 1901 - he was an army pensioner. It seems her first child was born in Cork, Ireland and 2 more in Bangalore, India, the 4th in Saffron Walden. She seems to have been born in Duxford, Cambridgeshire in 1865/6
    I would appreciate any help - an Aunt who remembers her (called her grandma - although she wasn't actually) wants to know where she was buried, and all about her.
    Many thanks
    Chris

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bass View Post
    She herself was I believe a widow (of Benjamin Dally I belive) but I cannot find her marriage to him
    Perhaps they married in Ireland...

Marriages Dec 1884 Dublin South 2 580
    Benjamin Samuel Dally
    Eliza Harvey
    Emma Hirons
    Mary Louisa Mulvany
    Richard William Murphy
    Note: there appears to a spouse missing from this list.

There is an Eliza HARVEY born abt 1865 in Duxford in the 1871 census. Here is the reference...

1871: RG10; Piece: 1591; Folio: 18; Page: 30

Perhaps someone could investigate further as I have to go out for a while.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    There is an Eliza HARVEY born abt 1865 in Duxford in the 1871 census. Here is the reference...

1871: RG10; Piece: 1591; Folio: 18; Page: 30

Perhaps someone could investigate further as I have to go out for a while.
    If this is the correct Eliza, then her birth was registered in the June quarter of 1865, Linton District (which covers Duxford), volume 3b, page 543.

Saffron Walden is just 5 miles from the border with Cambridgeshire, so if you would like this thread moved to the Cambridgeshire forum, just shout.

Chris Bass

No that's great thanks to you both. I know the area well (Cambridge girl myself). The Duxford birth and the marriage in Ireland seem to fit, just need to get the appropriate certificates. When in Saffron Walden Eliza's husband is listed as Benjamin S Dally so Benjamin Samuel seems to fit.
    Once again many thanks, you always seem to come up trumps when I have a problem.
    Chris