Knowledgeable and helpful

Default McKerchar of Kenmore area, Perthshire

I am researching this family name for a friend. If anyone else is also researching the name and is prepared to compare notes please let me know. I am most specifically interested in the family in the 19th and 18th century or earlier in Scotland but I have no access to Scottish records other than the 1841/51 censuses.

regards
    "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors.” Edmund Burke

AnnieB5051

Christian McKerchar (1834-1896), daughter of John McKerchar and Janet Crerar, married Alexander McNaughton of Remony - she was my great great grandmother. I have a family tree up on Ancestry if you're interested (they had a rather large family).

Anne

Good to hear from you Anne. I think that this may be a parallel branch of the family but I suspect that the many McKerchar families in the Loch Tay area must have been related at some point. I'd therefore be very interested to see your tree on Ancestry. Are you able to send me a link or to PM it to me?

regards
    "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors.” Edmund Burke

kbarkwill

Quote Originally Posted by tony vines View Post
    I am researching this family name for a friend. If anyone else is also researching the name and is prepared to compare notes please let me know. I am most specifically interested in the family in the 19th and 18th century or earlier in Scotland but I have no access to Scottish records other than the 1841/51 censuses.

regards
    Hi
    I have also been working on the McKerchar Family Tree and there is a terrific one that you can access at

https://familytreemaker.genealogy.com.../0006page.html

It goes right back to John McKerchar of Kenmore, Perthshire, Scotland in 1743. Hope it helps.

Kim Barkwill (maiden name McKerchar)
    Last edited by kbarkwill; 25-09-2013 at 9:23 PM. Reason: wrong link

Hi Kim

Good to hear from you. I found that site as well and tried to contact some of the parties involved but never got a reply. It nevertheless gave me some insights and clues to follow. I was researching the name for a golfing friend whose second name is McKerchar, taken from his Scottish ancestors. He is English born but his Scottish ancestors came from the area round Loch Tay.

After posting in this forum I eventually got access to later Scottish censuses and made some progress but then things dried up when it became more difficult and expensive to obtain Scottish records (I was doing the research as a favour so was not prepared to spend money on it other than through sites I already subscribed to). So I haven't added anything for a year or two. I do know that he would love to know more however.

The earliest records are a bit sketchy and unproven but I think that his oldest ancestors are probably John McKerchar and Christian McKerchar (nee Robertson) from around 1740 and they probably lived around Kenmore, Perthshire. Does any of that ring bells with you?

Tony

kbarkwill

That's the same one John McKerchar and his 2nd wife Christian Robertson. That is our lineage as well. How interesting! As with your search however, that is as far as our tree goes too. I don't have any other info. Our family falls in as part of their son Alexander's family. I am Kimberley Ann McKerchar ( although it is incorrectly spelled) and my father is Donald Brian McKerchar. I just wish that I had more information about when this branch came to Canada and how it was that they settled in Strathclair Manitoba because my grandfather, Donald Stewart McKerchar was born there in 1898.