Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Cool DAVIES JAMES 1768 TREGARON

My ancestor, Enoch Davies was a weaver, born abt 1768 of Tyngaer Berth, Tregaron, Cardiganshire, Wales: He died 13 March 1849 in Llanbadarn Odwyn, Cardiganshire, Wales. He was married 18 Apr 1794 in Llanbadarn Odwyn, Cardiganshire, Wales to Mary James, born 24 May 1768 in Tregaron, Cardiganshire, Wales.
    His brother was David Davies of Pyllau duon born about 1760 and died 19 June 1847 at 87 years old in Pulladuon, Llabadarn Odwyn, Cardiganshire, Wales.

On the Tregaron parish register for Baptisms for Mary James, it gives her father as Thomas James Jones of Blaen Ayron.
    Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find anything else on the families of Enoch or Mary. I have all of Enoch and Mary's children, their christening dates, places and marriages except for their son Thomas Davies, b: 15 Jan. 1797, Tregaron, Cardiganshire, Wales and daughter Elizabeth Davies, b: 7 May 1809, Tregaron, Cardiganshire, Wales.
    I do have the 1841 census for them.

Any additional help or information would be greatly appreciated. thanking you in advance.

Hi Jackie
    Regarding your ancestor Enoch Davies born 1768 at Tyngaer, Berth, Tregaron and his wife Mary James.
    My grandfather Dafydd (David) farmed Pyllau Duon as did my greatfather Enoch and his wife Sarah Jones.
    My family tree on my father's side have farm Pyllau Duon for many generations, I have the information you posted and I am currently searching for further information. I know that some members of the Davies clan emigrated to America and others to Canada.
    Although I have some information on the American connection as I was involved in the Wales - Ohio celebrations at Cilcennin last year stewarding at the exhibitions, but very little on the Canada side. Depends on what information you are seeking.

Croeso cynnes i Brit-Gen.

Does the Ohio connection involve David W Davies, Horeb, Jackson County - born Sir Aberteifi, May 1840, died 15 May 1897?
    There's an item in "Cyfaill o'r Hen Wlad yn America..." January 1893 and July 1898. Name of the home was "Pyllau Duon".
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Hello Hel Achau
    Is the Pyllau Duon Davies' you are looking for the same place as the one in Tynreithyn , Tregaron

From records of my ancestors and cross checking details on reading Cyfaill o'r Hen Wlad yn America, July 1893, it is the Ohio connection.
    Thomas Davies, Pyllau Duon and his wife Margaret Evans, Penlan Fach, Nantcwnlle emigrated in 1847 with their children, JANE, DAVID, ANN, JOHN, CEYNOR, EVON AND BENJAMIN. 2 others died in infancy. They were left orphans at an early age.
    David's first wife was Margaret Williams, they had several children. Following the death of his first David married Mary Jones and they had five children.

Thanks for confirming "the Ohio connection". Following post #4 I was going to direct you to Welsh Journals Online but you had already made the link. I'd searched the Journals under "Pyllau Duon" and "David W Davies" and also checked the '41 Census with 2 familes at "Pulleduon" and a David Davies, age 1, in nearby "Tanlluest".

Re. Welsh Journals did you spot the reference to Pyllau Duon in "Ceredigion: Journal of the Cardiganshire Antiquarian Society - 1975, vol 7"?

Rwy wedi darllen y cylchgrawn bore 'ma , diolch am ddod a'r eitem ym sylw
    My grandfather farmed both Pyllau Duon and Tyngaer homsteads. I found the Ohio connection you were looking for from
    the booklet compiled by Dan T. Davies, Ohio a decendant of Pyllau Duon. "US" Davieses (a copy I have in my possesion).
    Here is another bit of information for you, unless you already got it ?. Catherine (Cati) born 1805, daughter of Enoch Davies, born 1768 and Mary James, Tyngaer fell in love with Daniel Morgan, a man with no land and few prospects. Her parents forbade the match and sought to arrange a marriage with the son of a neighbouring farmer. Catherine left home one evening and married Daniel Morgan at Nantcwnlle Parish Church. they emigrated to Oak Hill, Ohio in 1837. Within 2 years they had saved enough money to buy an 80 acre farm at Hewett's Fork, near Oak Hill, Jackson County. Their grandson was Judge Daniel Edgar Morgan, later became a Demoncratic State Senator. Began his Law career in Cleveland with Garfield, Garfield & Howe., the senior partners, James R. Garfield and Harry A. Garfield were the eldest sons of the 20th President of the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by euros davies View Post
    diolch am ddod a'r eitem ym sylw
    Croeso.
    Have read the 2 items in the magazine several times but still not sure whether the references to "Pyllau Duon" apply to their new home in Ohio or whether it's a reference back to their origins. I'm inclined to the former.

Cofion cynnes
    Helachau

Loves to help with queries

Default Enoch Davies and Mary James

Thanks for all the interesting information. My Grandmother, Sarah Evans is a direct descendant of Enoch Davies and Mary James. She and her husband, Frederick Charles Williams, came to Canada. I am looking for ancestors for Enoch and Mary as I have been able to get any further back and would appreciate any help you can give me.

Default DAVIES/JAMES

Pleased you got in contact. Which of Enoch and Mart's children linage you are descended from, from my notes I think its David born 17/04/1803 because that is the Canada link. Further on in my notes there are references to the Evans' relations at Penlone, Blaenpennal, Tregaron and under Sarah Ann Evans (Jackie's grandmother are these words : born 1873/6 ? at Penlone. In 1881 at Penlone (no sign of William Evans) Anne wife aged 37, with daughter Sarah Anne Evans aged 8, a scholar; John Evans age 5, Mary Evans age 4, William Benjamin Evans age 1; also living with them Mary James, a servant age 70. In 1891 there is a William Evans age 70, his wife age 44 and children Mary age14, William B. age 11, Enoch age 8 and Mary Jmes a boarder age 82.
    In 1901 under 14 Banner Street, Bethnal Green, London there is John Evans, head age 24, his brother William B. age 21 and their sister Sarah Ann Evans age 25 born at Blaenpennal. She married Frederick Charles Willams and had a son William David Williams. On my notes it says Federick is athe grandson of a Japanese mariner ?
    MARY born 1877, WILLIAM BENJAMIN born 1880, ENOCH born 1883 ; at the bottom of their details is written emigrated to Canada. Hope it makes sense to you ??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast