Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Hi Jackie
    You mention you are the direct descendant of Enoch and Mary James, so am I. You from his son David and myself from his son Daniel, David's brother. Ann their sister also went to Canada but I have hardly any information on her except she married a John (John Shir Gar as he was known) obviously from Carmarthenshire. (english translation). So this makes us two distant cousins ! ! ?

Loves to help with queries

Yes, makes absolute sense. I have that Census record as well. My grandmother, Sarah Evans was the daughter of William Evans and Ann Davies; Ann was the daughter of David Davies (B: 1803 in Tregaron, Cardiganshire, Wales) and Sarah James. I have all the information on these families. Sara’s brother. William Benjamin, brought my father over to Canada when he was 10 years olds and then William Benjamin, (Ben Evans) immigrated to New South Wales, Australia. I have some information on that family as well. Yes, My great great grandfather or his father, were Japanese so I am, obviously, at a dead end there. Have we corresponded before that you have notes on my family or did you look at other “brick walls” on British Genealogy? I have the names of all of the children of Enoch and Mary James and have Mary’s father as Thomas James Jones of Blaen Ayron. I would love to have further information on any of their ancestors.

I started delving into the history of my father's side of the family a few years ago, got most of my information from relatives / cousins of mine, but it was only last year before the Wales - Ohio Bi-Centenary celebrations in Cilcennin, Ceredigion (Cardiganshire) that I started researching the Ohio link of the family members of the Davies', Pyllau Duon that emigrated to America in the 1800's.
    I have not corresponded with you before as I only joined Brti-Gen this March. I was looking through some paperwork on the family history a few weeks ago and came across this photocopy of your brit-gen notes from forum that someone gave a few years ago asking if it had any link to my family. The info on it made me join forum, glad I did.
    I will check what details I have on the children of Enoch and Mary as I have little knowledge on a few of them.
    I will look further for you. I have not looked "at other brick walls" ; only the stuff gathered relatives of the years, nothing from history websites.

Default Happy Jackte

I have posted some details to you, hope you have received it

Default davies / james canada link

Hi happy jackie
    This is as far back as I can go with the Davies/James family tree !!
    Nathaniel James, born 1781 at Penlone, Blaenpennal became a farmer at Tynswydd, he married Gwenllian Jones, daughter of John Jones of Llansawel (Carmarthenshire) at Tregaron Church on 27th December, 1811.
    They had 2 daughters, Mary born 1812 and Sarah born 1814. Sarah married David Davies born 1803 the 3rd son of Enoch Davies, Tyngaer and Mary born 1768, daughter of Thomas James, Blaenaeron.
    Enoch's older brother David, born 1760 lived at Pyllau Duon, married Elizabeth Davies, died 1847 age 87. They had 5 children including John who emigrated to Ohio, USA.
    David Davies born 1803 married Sarah the daughter of Nathaniel James, they had 3 daughters, Mary, Margaret and Ann. David died in 1849 and buried at Blaenpennal. His widow Sarah married a widower called William Evans of Penlone. Sarah died in1868. Her youngest daughter Ann then married her stepfather William Evans in 1871, she was 20 years his junior.
    They had 5 children, Sarah, Mary, Enoch, Jack and William Benjamin who all eventually emigrated to Canada, the land of promise
    Last edited by euros davies; 02-04-2019 at 9:41 AM. Reason: correction

Default davies/james canada link

Hi Happy Jackie
    Any chance of having information on the 2 daughters of Enoch Davies, Tyngaer, born 1768 and his wife Mary James, viz : ANN born 1801 and ELIZABETH born 1809. I only have their names and date of birth, nothing else except Ann was married to a John ?. On the rest of the children I have plenty of notes.

Re CATHERINE (Cati) born 1805, (don't know if have this information, apologies if you have) fell in love with Daniel Morgan, and I quote "a landless peasant with few prospects". Her parents forbade the match and sought to arrange a marriage with the son of a neighbouring farmer. Catherine left home one evening and married Daniel on 28th March 1837 at Nantcwnlle Parish Church and lived at Penygaer, Nantcwnlle. They emigrated to Oak Hill, Ohio in 1837. Within 2 years they had saved enough monet to buy a 80 acre farm at Hewett's Fork, near Ohio in Jackson County.
    Their grandson Judge Daniel Edgar Morgan served as a Democratic State Senator. He began his Law career with Garfield, Garfield & Howe. The senior partners, James R. Garfield and Harry A. Garfield were the eldest sons of 20th President of the USA.
    I would appreciate any information on the Australia family connection, I have a 1st cousin who has emigrated to Melbourne
    Last edited by euros davies; 02-04-2019 at 10:27 AM. Reason: correction to spelling

awaiting response to my information

The only information I have on Thomas Davies, born 15th January, 1797 is that he lived at Tyhen, Tynreithyn ? and also went to America, his child baptised in Llwynpiod Chapel, nr Llangeithio, Cardiganshire. Wife's name possible Jane, Tyhen.
    These are recollections of relative who has past away.

Loves to help with queries

We are travelling at the moment so I am not always on the computer. I shall peruse all the information you have given me, check it with mine and see if I have any additional information for you. Thanks for sharing!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Eros, Thomas E Davies (Jane) 1787 are my 3rd great grandparents and they came over in 1847 with their children. I have information from another "cousin" indicating their ship, Tamerlane, did dock in Quebec, Canada and that Thomas and family came on down to southern Ohio via canals and the Ohio river. This is all on my tree on Ancestry. I also have that Thomas lives at Tyhen so that is accurate. I am pleased to find this forum as I just recently discovered that my 4th great grandfather Enoch 1768 lived at Tyn Gaer. I do not know his wife's name.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast