Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hugh Thompson

Hi Sandra, I was just having a look through the NSW Indexes Online and came across a listing for a John Chilvers up on a horse stealing charge at Goulburn NSW, 7th March 1854, is he your man?
    Sorry I can't help as regards the Archives as I'm miles away from them, I have read that some of the musters and volumes that he could be mentioned in were forwarded to London in December 1839. PRO ref: HO10/32-35.
    Regards.
    Hugh.

Sandra Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Thompson View Post
    Hi Sandra, I was just having a look through the NSW Indexes Online and came across a listing for a John Chilvers up on a horse stealing charge at Goulburn NSW, 7th March 1854, is he your man?
    Oh dear, I hope not! Though the dates and even the place are quite possible. One thing to have a food stealing convict, not sure about horse stealing, though. I will see if I can follow that up.
    Also thank for the Muster reference in London.

Sandra whose spectacled aura would be really pushing to cope with a common horse thief.

Hugh Thompson

I don't know Sandra, I think horse stealing adds a bit of pizazz to the family tree.
    Hugh.

spison

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Thompson View Post
    ...forwarded to London in December 1839. PRO ref: HO10/32-35. Hugh.
    These have probably been copied in the AJCP and the microfilms can be borrowed on inter-library loan from the NLA. You'll need the index. This might help (or a search for AJCP indexes online may give you an actual searchable index):

https://www.
    slwa.wa.gov.au/find/guides/family_history/australian_joint_copying_project/using_the_ajcp_handbooks?SQ_DESIGN_NAME=print

You might be better off to contact SRNSW to see if they'll copy it for you. It might just be a list of names although I hope it's better than that. I can't forsee when I can get to Kingswood. (I'm about 2 hours away.) but if you have no luck with this send me a PM after New Year and I'll have a better idea then. Perhaps someone else is going sooner?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra Parker View Post
    One thing to have a food stealing convict, not sure about horse stealing, though....
    Sandra whose spectacled aura would be really pushing to cope with a common horse thief.
    He might have been hungry!

Jane

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

I was looking at online resources available to me and I see an application from John to bring his wife (Sarah nee Pearl) and six children out to Australia. It says, for Residence of Wife and to whom known - County of Norfolk is crossed out. Town or Parish of Dickleborough known to the Rev Wm Haddock near Dickleborough, Mr James Draon[?], farmer, and Mr A Raynor farmer, Longnore [?] near Dickleborough. Colonial Secretary's Office, Sydney 1st July 1842
    ChristineR

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Do you have his ticket of leave information?
    His Ticket of Leave is originally dated 3 Feb 1843 but is marked up the side ... 'Altered to Yass 29th Feby 1844 having left the service of Mr Milsom.'
    it has his basic voyage and sentence details, no general remarks.
    Allowed to remain in the District of Pittwater on the recommendation of Sydney Bench, October 1842.
    Last edited by ChristineR; 30-11-2011 at 5:43 AM. Reason: spelling
    ChristineR

Sandra Parker

Thanks very much. Yes that's my chap, and I have details on another thread. But I just wanted this thread to be about the availability of this record in NSW Archives. (By the way, his family never did join him)
    Sandra

Sandra Parker

I may have found John staying in Australia. I have a death certificate for a John Chilvers died 23 MAY 1863 at Collector, NSW. Quite a few details do match, but others are quite inaccurate.
    I wonder if someone could find a marriage for John Chilvers and a Mary Walter or Walker in 1854 in Goulbourne NSW. Hopefully there might be a few more clues to help identify whether this really is my chap.
    Thanks
    Sandra

Procat

Hi Sandra,

Are you asking to check the Index or the certificate.

If the former V1854330 85/1854 CHILVERS JOHN & WALTER MARY A

Whilst the NSW index does not record the place of the event Ancestry has the district as Goulburn, Gunning, Yass (County of Argyle), New South Wales

Hugh Thompson

Hi Sandra, there are two articles on Trove Feb 1854 re a John Chilvers of Collector NSW losing three to four hundred bushells of wheat due to arson, see address below.
    Hugh.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/re...85&l-year=1854

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast