Daniel O'Sullivan b1831 Ireland Tailor
    wife Mary b1831 Ireland
    Nelly b1854 London
    Timothy b1856 London
    Mathias b1858 London
    Mary b1860 London
    residing Lowndes (?) Ct. St James Westminster

Brick wall demolition expert!

As someone who has lived in Deptford, Kent let me add to the exchanges.

Deptford is now part of the London Borough of Lewisham, and borders the London Borough of Southwark. To the unfamilar these are on the south side of the Thames and effectively run east from Tower Bridge, encompassing the old Surrey Docks, which today is called Surrey Quays.

The mention of Sweden reminded me that on Lower Road, Surrey Quays is the Swedish Seamens' mission which is still there today. It is along side Southwark park just west of Surrey Quays underground station, and can be found on google maps if you zoom in enough.

pippycat

Death for Ellen:

Ellen Carlson late of 38 Broad St. Regent St. London (wife of Otto Carlson) died 26 June 1891 at Bognor, Sussex.
    £105 7s 9p to Otto of 38 Broad Street.Tailor.

Wonder what she was doing in Bognor?

RobinC

Quote Originally Posted by pippycat View Post

Wonder what she was doing in Bognor?
    I had a look on FMP for Sullivans or Carlsons in Bognor Regis in 1891 but nothing came up.

Did anyone here check the other thread mentioned in post 3 before doing all this research? I think Gwyneth already knew most of this.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Ladkyis View Post
    Did anyone here check the other thread mentioned in post 3 before doing all this research?
    My fault as I didn't provide a link to the other thread which is here.

pippycat

Olliecat, never the fault of a pussycat!

I only read the first link Ladykis, so serves me right!

I've found there are records on A* for Nils Otto Carlsson, Gothenburg Sweden passenger list and emigration records but can't say whether its the correct person as I don't have access to the records - maybe somebody would take a look.

Also a death for Daniel C Carlson aged 80 (b1847) in Dec 1927 St. Martin, London 1a 601
    and I've just seen its linked to John Perry Tree on A* for Nils Otto Daniel b1847 Kalmar, Sweden. father: Karl Carlsson
    (plus there's a lovely photo of Maud Amelia Carlson b1881 England d15 Mar 1970 in Toronto)

Gwyneth W

My thanks and apologies to all for your hard work. I wasn't sure how to go back to the old thread on the forum where I made my original queries on this ancestor. My family tree on A* is Wilks-Conn, and most of my research is there. (John Perry mistook me for a relative and copied my data to his tree). I'm glad to see someone found Ellen's will, which I was unsuccessful in locating. Why Bognor? It was a place where people went to take the cure, get the fresh sea air etc. Allegedly the last words of King George V were "Bugger Bognor" when it was suggested that he go there to recover. Nelly had 8 babies in 11 years, and she may have been ill and trying to get better. I've not ordered death certificates for anyone yet.

Quote Originally Posted by pippycat View Post
    Olliecat, never the fault of a pussycat!

I only read the first link Ladykis, so serves me right!

I've found there are records on A* for Nils Otto Carlsson, Gothenburg Sweden passenger list and emigration records but can't say whether its the correct person as I don't have access to the records - maybe somebody would take a look.

Also a death for Daniel C Carlson aged 80 (b1847) in Dec 1927 St. Martin, London 1a 601
    and I've just seen its linked to John Perry Tree on A* for Nils Otto Daniel b1847 Kalmar, Sweden. father: Karl Carlsson
    (plus there's a lovely photo of Maud Amelia Carlson b1881 England d15 Mar 1970 in Toronto)
    Thanks all

More than a decade has passed and I still don't know for certain when my great-grandmother Ellen Mary Sullivan was born. There is a namesake born in Liverpool, but I doubt it is her, and more likely she was born in London (Westminster). I believe it's safe to say the reference to her family above from Pippycat is correct (1861 RG9 p65 f76 pg58):
    Daniel O'Sullivan b1831 Ireland Tailor
    wife Mary b1831 Ireland
    Nelly b1854 London
    Timothy b1856 London
    Mathias b1858 London
    Mary b1860 London
    residing Lowndes (?) Ct. St James Westminster

Daniel and Mary, though born in Ireland, were probably wed in London. Ellen had a sister Mary, but I can't find a definite record of Ellen's birth. My grandma used to say her mother was Catholic, although they may have changed their faith in England, but if anyone has insights on this brick wall I will be grateful.

Hi
    Do you know the maiden name of Mary, mother of Ellen?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast