Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Default Help in both Australia and New Zealand please

I have a fair amount of detail of my grand aunt Vera May Louisa [Rowledge] and her husband George Joseph Rixon.

I know they emigrated on 14 December 1948 and upon arrival settled in Lane Cove where G.J. became an Accounts Clerk. From the Australian Electoral Rolls I have them at 6 Third Ave, Lane Cove from 1854 to 1968.

I have a letter from V.M.L.'s brother in law [my stepgrandfather] stating that G.J. died at the residence above on 6 December 1971.

What happened to V.M.L after his death is not known except for the following:
    1] She appears in the 1981 New Zealand Electoral Rolls as a Widow -living at 59 Rimu Street, Waikanae,
    Horowhenua, Manawatu-Wanganuui.
    2] My dad received a letter from her sister in law [Queenie Rixon] saying she died on April 1 1985 in St.Leonards, New Zealand. There was no return address on the letter so my dad couldn't reply.

I would like to find their final resting place, copeis of death certificates and wills and when V.M.L left Oz for N.Z.

Is this too much to ask?

spison

Hi Colin,
    Have you looked at the National Archives of Australia? There may be something else in the arrivals section but I think I can only find George Joseph RIXON's arrival (as G J RIXON). You can probably access originals but I've never tried unless they're online. I can look at his funeral notice next time I'm near a copy of the SMH from 7 Dec 1971 if you like.
    www.
    naa.gov.au sign in as a guest and go to Passenger Arrivals Index (extreme RHS).

George's death registration is at 67327/1971 and was registered at St. Leonards. You can purchase this (or pay for a transcript which is cheaper) if you like by going to www.
    bdm.nsw.gov.au

I'm afraid I can't help much with NZ but they do have an online BDM but I don't know when it cuts off due to privacy. You can go there at
    www.
    bdmonline.dia.govt.nz

Yell if I can do anything here.
    Jane

Hugh Thompson

Hi Colin, there may have been a bit of confusion with the St Leonard's location, as there is this entry in the NSW registry, she could have returned to NSW, but as the deaths are only registered up to 1980 at the moment and she died after that time, I'll have a look in the newspapers and see what I can find in case she did die here in St Leonards NSW.
    Hugh.
    NSW BDM's
    Deaths.
    67327/1971 Rixon George Joseph. parents, Albert and Rhoda. location ST LEONARDS NSW.

Hugh Thompson

Hi Colin and Jane, she doesn't show up in the Ryerson index and Trove's Sydney Morning Herald only goes up to 1954 so I'm no help at all I'm afraid.
    Hugh.

Colin Rowledge

Hi Jane.
    Thanks for the various links.

I found George and Vera's arrival on January6 1949. What a lovely time to arrive in Oz. Christmas and New Year at sea, heading to warmth and a new life - what a way!!!

If you can find a copy of an obit in the Sydney Morning Herald I'd be obliged. I've had no luck from here.

2 St. Leonards - 1 in Oz and 1 in N.Z. This may get confusing, eh wot?

Will look at the nsw link for Vera's just in case.

Again thanks

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post

2 St. Leonards - 1 in Oz and 1 in N.Z. This may get confusing, eh wot?

Again thanks
    Hi
    According to my Dictionary of NZ place names, our St leonards is in Otago near Dunedin - a long, long way from Waikanae. I would be a little suspicious of the death being there.
    David

Knowledgeable and helpful

I found this website, of Rixon deaths in New Zealand.

https://www.familytreecircles.com/rix...009-32388.html

Rixon Vera May Louisa
    - born 17 December 1907
    - died in 1985

Maybe you could contact the creator of the page and ask where he or she got their information. It looks like you'll have to register to get that information though.

Also, I found George Joseph Rixon in the Ryerson index. Hopefully, the obituary can answer the question of where he was buried.

RIXON George Joseph Death notice 06DEC1971 Death Sydney Morning Herald 07DEC1971

Quentin

Hi Colin - I have had a look at the Waikanae cemetery records - no luck, also the Dunedin records where St Leonards comes under but nothing there, also Horowhenua where I found a Doris May Rixon - tried Kapiti Coast records but nothing. Rixon shows up quite a bit in other records but nothing for Vera. Even tried Wellington - nothing. Surely it is more than coincidence that the husband dies in St Leonards NSW and the wife in St Leonards NZ??????? But she must have been in NZ for a while to end up on the electoral roll. Did the sisterin-law Queenie live in NZ?
    Cheers Quentin

Colin Rowledge

Thank you all for the help you've provided above. I'll respond to each post in order and will see what happens.

spison

If you can find a copy of an obit in the Sydney Morning Herald I'd be obliged. I've had no luck from here.
    Watch this space. It will take at least a week. The RYERSON INDEX doesn't show that there is an Obituary - just a Funeral Notice - so don't expect too much.
    2 St. Leonards - 1 in Oz and 1 in N.Z. This may get confusing, eh wot? Will look at the nsw link for Vera's just in case.
    I was surprised at that too. Unfortunately this is in the privacy zone so it is really tricky to discover anything. I also checked the Index for the death of Queenie but couldn't see anything.

Jane

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast