rixandy

Default Place name format and conventions question

I did not see any specific forum for this question. Please redirect if required.

I am considering using Legacy software, but before entering data I am interested if there is any standard or convention for recording British names.

Legacy intro uses USA examples for their four parts - place, county, state, country. Would the British equivalent convention be Place, Parish (or District?), County, Country? Generally I do not know or see Parish or District in general address use and communications, so this part would typically be blank unless official records can be accessed.

I am well aware that there are many complicating factors, but time for those later.

CanadianCousin

I've used Legacy for several years, but don't normally use the four-part place name convention, which doesn't really fit English records. There may be some advantages to it, in terms of sorting records, but I haven't found any disadvantages to not following it.

I generally just record Place, County, Country - depending on the location and the type of record, the Parish is often the only Place name recorded (or the village and the parish may have the same name). For my rural ancestors, if I do know the name of a place (e.g., a farm or hamlet) within the parish, then I record Place, Parish, County, Country. (E.g., Trewetha, St. Endellion, Cornwall, England.) For those in larger centres, I record Parish, Place, County, Country. E.g., St. Georges Hanover Square, London, Middlesex, England.

Hope this helps -

Tim

Procat

Moved to General Family History queries.

Knowledgeable and helpful

As CanadianCousin wrote “the four-part place name convention, which doesn't really fit English records.”
    The problem is the English system developed over centuries.
    The ecclesiastical Parish seldom covers the same area or foot-print as the civil Parish.
    The Census District seldom covers the same area as the Registration District.
    Ecclesiastical (Diocese) Archives may not be in the same county as the Parish Church is situated.

If one understand the differences between such entities then it is perfectly possibly to use the four-part place name convention, just understand the differences.
    Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.