Thread: Relationships

Colin Rowledge

Default Relationships

What is the correct relationship?

As many know, my father was illegitimate. His biological father never married his mother, however his younger brother did. There was never any formal adoption of my dad.

My dad accepted in later life that the elder brother was his father and the younger, his step-father. To my way of thinking these 2 boys became my Grandfather and Step-Grandfather.

I have promulgated that their father is my Great Grandfather, but my relationship chart on my tree doesn't agree. It sys he is the Father-in-law of my Grandmother. It won't allow me to change it.

Am I correct or should I accept what the 'tree' tells me?

Colin

Knowledgeable and helpful Jellylegs's Avatar

Colin, I think it's because your tree shows your dad's surname as Rowledge, whereas your Grandfather's; Step-Grandfather's and their father's surname is different.

I have just tested it with my tree on Ancestry - my G Grandma was illegitimate (surname PEDEL), but her mother married later to a George ROBERTS. I have my G. Grandma down with her birth surname. When I look at the relationship of her mother's husband's father to my Grandma (so her step-great grandad), it says he is the father-in law of maternal grandmother - which is true.

I know your tree is slightly different because one of the brothers was your Grandad and so his dad was your Great Grandad, but the relationships appear to be worked out on the surname.

I have just added G Grandma as if she was the legitimate child of her mother and her step-dad with the surname ROBERTS - added her husband (G Grandad SPRINGETT) and then my Grandma, and the same relationship shows as Great Grandfather.

Does that make sense?

Colin Rowledge

Yes Jellylegs, it makes sense. It is as clear as mud!!

My dad knows who he was the son of and so do I.

Regardless of how the chart works it out, I am happy to have had a dad, a grandmother, a grand father + a step-grandfather and great-grandfather. All of these folks have made the research of my dad's birth-family highly challenging but very rewarding.

Colin

Knowledgeable and helpful Jellylegs's Avatar

Glad it helped - I think.

Will have to toddle off and delete the additions to my tree otherwise I will be going when I look at it later.