Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    terrysfamily

Yeah go for it Bill, Hope you have as good a luck as I did.

Terry

Melbourne Aust. ~ a drop kick away from the Essendon Airport - 9 miles out of Melbourne

Does a Will shows the dead person's age ?

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by notanotherminer View Post
    Ancestry has probate records from 1861 to 1941. If you know the year of a person's death you can search under this and the results will give you the name, address and date of death. It will also show to whom probate was granted (the executors) and at which registry (or probate office) and the value of the person's effects.
    I have many folks that died within the 80 year period covered - 1861-1941. Some were important to me and I found the records and obtained copies of the wills.

Others, of equal importance, don't show up. What exactly would have happened to their estate?

Colin

p.s.
    Sorry, terrys family for sticking this comment on your thread, but I believe it could assist others

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    What exactly would have happened to their estate?
    If no-one troubled to apply for a grant (e.g. because the estate was small), the estate would normally pass to the next of kin, without comment or formal paperwork.

If there was no next of kin, the estate would normally pass to the Crown (bona vacantia -- there are several earlier forum threads on this).

...within the 80 year period covered - 1861-1941.
    Do remember that the National Probate Calendar extends from 1858 to the present day.

Ancestry's rendering of it runs from 1861 to 1941 only, with the following proviso:
    We currently do not have the books for the years 1858-1860 and there are some gaps for the years 1863, 1868, 1873, 1876, 1877, 1883, 1888, 1899-1903 and 1910-1911.

terrysfamily

p.s.
    Sorry, terrys family for sticking this comment on your thread, but I believe it could assist others
    Please don’t apologise Colin, anyone and everyone is quite free and welcome to post anything they like on my threads. If there is the slightest chance that it will help others, I am all for it.

People may have notice that I always try to tell the whole story (or ramble on a bit) of why I am looking for a ‘said’ person. It is so that in the future, if someone is also looking for him/her they may be able to gather some info from my posts.

Terry

mfwebb

When I send for wills I never use the form provided on the website. I just send a letter and quote the probate calendar entry in full. I didn't initially realise there was a form and now just amend the basic letter I devised for my first application. £6 is great value for a copy of the probate/administration and the will if there is one.

And don't forget that the address for applications has recently changed (just in case you have it stored somewhere) -- it is now Leeds not York. And there seems to have been an improvement in the turn round time along with the change of address.

All the best,

Malcolm Webb
    Lincoln UK

LittleSpark

I always just send a letter too quoting the details I've found on Ancestry and have never been disappointed yet.
    The copies usually arrive within 3 weeks.

Sheila

terrysfamily

Just to clear up a point. If it says in the records on Ancestry 'Effects to', does that mean there is no will and they have left the whole lot to the named person?

Terry

terrysfamily

Graham you are totally correct. It doesn't say 'Effects to' at all. It says

Battley Clara of 58 Lyons Street, Sheffield Widow died 25 September 1926 Probate London 9 November to Charles Henry Evans civil Servant. Effects £215 0s 8d.

Did go to specksavers, and a lot of good it did me too.

Does this mean there's a will?

Terry

terrysfamily

You're correct again, Graham, will No.2 comin up. Hope they haven't done joined up writing

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast