Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    njap53

Default Bedfordshire place ID please

Hi, my Gt Gt Gf James GURNEY born circa 1795 in Smedley, Beds.

I can't find Smedley anywhere. Does it still exist, been misspelt or has it been smothered by a larger town.

Any clues appreciated. Thanks, Nick

pippycat

Hi Nick, I also cannot find Smedley - the nearest I can come up with is Shenley, Buckinghamshire which is right near the border with Bedfordshire. Maybe somebody with more local knowledge will come up with something better!

In meantime I can only find 2 births for James Gurney b1794 Bedford.

James Gurney b1794 Leighton Buzzard, Beds. Wife Ann Butler

James Gurney christ. 12 June 1794 St Botolph, Aspley Guise, Bedford.
    Parents: Thomas Gurney, a tailor and Sarah

Do you have other family members/names/places etc that may help in the search?

ShirleySS

Leighton Buzzard isn't too far from Shenley. It is now part of Milton Keynes (Shenley)
    ShirleySS

Nicolina

where did you get the place name from?
    The 1851 Census (HO107/1755/77 page 31) for Long End, Husborne Crawley, Bedfordshire has a possible James and family:
    James GURNEY b. abt. 1795 in Crawley, Bedfordshire occ: Agricultural Labourer
    Ann GURNEY b. abt. 1792 in Woburn, Bedfordshire
    Maria GURNEY b. abt. 1828 in Crawley, Bedfordshire occ: Lace Maker
    George GURNEY b. abt. 1830 in Crawley, Bedfordshire occ: Machine Maker

could this be them? Husborne Crawley, Bedfordshire is North West of Luton and just to the West of the M1. It is also very close to Woburn.

njap53

May be related but what I'm looking for is based on the 1851 record and the image certainly appears to be Smedley:

Name: James Gurney
    Spouse: Hannah Gurney
    Birth: abt 1794 - Smedley, Bedfordshire, England
    Residence: 1851 - Stoke Damerel, Devon, England

Thanks, Nick

davidcarca

As he looks as though he may have been a military man, I checked on TNA. There's a James Gurney born Sturtley Beds who served in the 89th Foot. Unfortunately there's no Sturtley either in Beds! But there is a Streatley, just north of Luton, which I suppose with a stretch of imagination could be either Sturtley or Smedley, but I'm not convinced! Doesn't help that I can't find any Gurney baptisms in Streatley

pippycat

Nick, other than the 1851 census, how do you know James was born in Bedfordshire?

Also, could somebody with better eyesight than mine please take a look at it and see what they make of James Gurney birth place:
    1851 H0107 p1881 f290 pg32

I have the family in 1841 census H0107 p268 f16 pg27

JANES Gurney b1793
    Hanna b1811
    THURZA b1834
    william b1836
    EMELY B1839

another 1841 census H0107 p5 f14 pg23 which relates to Nicolina's post in thread 4

James Gurney b1796 tailor
    Ann b 1796
    Maria b1828
    George b1830
    all born Bedfordshire and residing in Husborne Crawley, Beds

Looks as though there are 2 possible Gurney families now.

1881 census rg11 p2213 f14 pg21

Thirza A Craig w b1834 Ireland
    Emily Gurney sister b1829 paignton
    Charles E Craig son b1867 Stoke Damerel, Devon

Marriage:
    Thirza Ann Gurney to William Henry Craig Dec 1856 5b p578 Stoke Damerel, Devon

Found a marriage for Eliza Gurney Dec 1860 5b 645 Stoke Damerel, Devon
    to either Joseph Jago or William John Roberts but haven't yet found to which one!

So far cannot find a marriage for James and Hannah.

Its interesting that the 1st child Thirza (whatever way its spelt) was born in Ireland then rest of children in Devon, lots of reasons for that I know - maybe as David says in thread 6, James was a military man and so posted there before being sent back to England, maybe potato famine brought them home, it just aroused my curiosity!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by davidcarca View Post
    There's a James Gurney born Sturtley Beds who served in the 89th Foot.
    Quote Originally Posted by pippycat View Post
    Thirza ... was born in Ireland then rest of children in Devon
    According to his service record, the James GURNEY who served in the 89th Foot was discharged in Ireland in 1834, with the intention of residing in Plymouth.

You may want to buy a few credits at Find My Past and download the service record. There are 9 pages, though the last is blank.

pippycat

Oh excellent Kerrywood,

Maybe that service record will also help solve the mystery placename..smedley, stopsley, stotfold, streatley
    grrr, wherever!!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

As David has already said (post #6), the place of birth is recorded in the service record as Sturtly.

If, after looking at the record, Nick thinks this could be his man, the next question might be -- What birthplace was actually intended?

What other GURNEY baptisms (if any) can be found for locations in or near a place that might have been corrupted into Sturtly ?

What other clues does the service record hold -- place of attestation? age?

Just a few things to think about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast