Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    RobinC

I think that after reading Coromandel's post above that Henry could have died anytime between early 1816 and 1823.

I would love to check out the muster rolls of the ships he served on but the dates I have are way before 1816 with the only known dates being between 1798 & 1801 so I need to discover more of Henry's naval career first I think.

The trouble is I have no idea how to find this information.

Coromandel

Well, first I would read the leaflets already mentioned and see what they say about how to track naval careers at this time.

Usually the rule is to work from the known to the unknown: so my guess would be that you'd start with the ships you know he was on, and see if any of the records about those ships give you any clues as to where he went next. It may also help to draw up a timeline, showing what you know about where Henry (and/or his family) was at different times, and how his occupation is described. For example, what does it say about his occupation in the baptism records of his younger children? (Sorry, I'm too lazy to check the previous 80 posts to see what they say!) Compare the dates on the service record and the will and any other documents you have. If he was still in service after the end of the service record, does that mean the service record is incomplete? Might there be more records somewhere else? (I don't know the answers to these questions!)

RobinC

Thank you for your help, it is appreciated!

I posted this earlier in the thread which makes me think that he was still in service when he died:

I've just had another look at the certificate as the "father dead, mother living" was confusing me as it is written along 5 columns which are to do with the father being killed / wounded in service and the mother being alive or dead.

https://
    imageshack.us/photo/my-images/706/bigclue.jpg

As you can see, the "and" is crossed out in the column heading that says "If the Father killed in the Service, and Mother Living", now this narrows Henry's death down to between December 1816 and March 1823.
    I don't think it's going to be an easy trek to find out the information I need and I'm wondering if the Naval Museum at Greenwich is likely to hold any records relating to Henry.

Hollytree

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    I think that after reading Coromandel's post above that Henry could have died anytime between early 1816 and 1823.

I would love to check out the muster rolls of the ships he served on but the dates I have are way before 1816 with the only known dates being between 1798 & 1801 so I need to discover more of Henry's naval career first I think.

The trouble is I have no idea how to find this information.
    As has been said by many subscribing to your posts, you need to read the National Archives information. I don't think you will get much information about a naval rating's career on board ship at the times you are looking at Greenwich Museum. The Caird Library does have ships logs for 1st Lts, but these logs aren't very informative about a specific man's career, as with Masters and Captains Logs they record the daily weather, the location of the ship, and mainly day to day occurences..........'flogged (say) Joe Bloggs for drunkeness, or took onboard stores (food).

The best way to track a career of an ordinary sailor on board an HMS at this time is from the ships paybooks and musters. As as Coromandel has said, start with what you know and work either back or forward.

You can track a man's career, by finding him onboard the ship that you know about (Fisgard in your case) and by (if they exist) looking at subsequent musters you can normally see what ship he came from and when discharge what ship he goes to. But it is a very very slow and careful process. This sort of information rarely just jumps out at you. If you are so keen to find this out then you do need to spend a few days at Kew...........

Good luck

Anne

RobinC

I've had a look at the National Archives site but can't seem to find any records for the Royal Navy which are dated before 1853, whether I look at documents online or the main site.

I have emailed the National Archives to ask if the muster rolls are available to view at Kew so will wait for their reply, I have also emailed the Royal Naval Museum to see if they have any idea of other sources I can use to find out about Henry's career.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    I've had a look at the National Archives site but can't seem to find any records for the Royal Navy which are dated before 1853, whether I look at documents online or the main site.
    Perhaps you're not looking at the right leaflet? There's one called 'Looking for records of a rating in the Royal Navy before 1853' which sounds like it should give you some starting points. It was on the list of R.N. leaflets I've already mentioned but to make it even easier to find here's a direct link:

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/r...before1853.htm

RobinC

It seems I may be able to order copies of the Muster books for the Fisgard from 1798 to 1801 as Henry was on that ship until 25th November 1800 and was then on the HMS Cambridge for two days (26th & 27th November) according to the application to the Greenwich Hospital School.

I have attempted to also order the pay books for both ships and the muster books for HMS Cambridge.

RobinC

I have managed to track 5 records down which should hopefully contain references to Henry Damiral, however I am not going to be able to get to the National Archives for the foreseeable future due to work commitments.

If anyone is going to Kew, would they be able to look at the following records if possible:

ADM 36/12804 - Muster book for HMS Fisgard 1798 - 1799
    ADM 36/15396 - Muster book for HMS Fisgard 1799 - 1800
    ADM 36/15397 - Muster book for HMS Fisgard 1800 - 1801

ADM 36/13597 - Muster book for HMS Cambridge Sep 1800 - Dec 1800
    ADM 36/13913 - Muster book for HMS Cambridge Nov 1800 - Jan 1801

I did try and order the above records online but I'm not sure they're available online.

RobinC

I got an estimate back for the 5 records above and they're £134.10 each so it would cost me over £600 to get copies of them.

I think I may have to wait until later in the year to see if I get a chance to go to Kew myself.

RobinC

I think I may have found Henry Damiral's baptism in 1759 which was in Stoke Damerel in Devon. His parents are listed as being Robert & Elizabeth.

My only doubt is that it could have been his uncle or another relation as my Henry didn't get married until 1798 in Stoke Damerel) which would have made him 38 at the time of the marriage.

This strikes me as being a bit old for him to be married especially when Henry's last child was born in 1816 (Henry would have been 56).

This is on top of my Henry being deceased by 1822 as I have discovered from papers I received regarding his son Peter.

I think that Henry's family lived in the Stoke Damerel area seeing as there appears to be at least one branch of a Damerell family there.

Am I looking too hard or could my Henry have been born in 1759?

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789