Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    RobinC

Default Henry Damiral and HMS Leopard (1803)

I have recently switched to looking at the Damiral branch of my family tree and I'm currently stuck on a Henry Damiral who I believe is my 4 x great grandfather. I have found the baptism record for my 3 x great grandfather who was born to Henry & Jane Damiral at Bermondsey in 1814.

However, whilst searching Ancestry's family trees for Henry, I have come across a reference to him arriving in Southwark in 1803 on HMS Leopard. There doesn't seem to be any solid evidence which confirms this is how he arrived.

He had a child in 1797 who was born in Stoke Damerel, Devon and another child who was born in 1803 in Bermondsey.

My query is what sort of vessel was HMP Leopard and if it wasn't in the service of the Royal Navy, would families have been aboard?

malcolm99

Just for starters there is this short article on Wikipedia but I'm sure someone expert will be able to add more.

See: https://en.
    wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Leopard_%281790%29

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Henry probably was in the RN, because there are application papers for his son Peter to attend Greenwich Hospital School, though he apparently wasn't admitted. Click here for the catalogue entry.

I haven't seen where you got the information about HMS Leopard. But if you're interested in pursuing that, some of her movements at the relevant period are outlined here.

DevonFHS transcripts have the marriage at St Andrew Plymouth of Henry DAMERELL and Jane BEER on 20 Feb 1798. The date matches the reference given in the TNA catalogue entry for Peter's school application (linked above).

If you want to trace Henry's career in the Royal Navy, I would urge you to access these Greenwich Hospital School records. They are a fantastic resource. Some of the admission papers include baptism certificates, marriage records, lists of siblings, copies of any poor law records, and details of the father's naval service -- even if the child didn't gain admission to the school. Often a valuable shortcut to researching a naval career.

I don't think these records are covered by TNA's estimating/copying service. You could try asking them (from the catalogue entry, click Ordering and viewing options). But you may have to visit yourself, or get someone to go on your behalf.

RobinC

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    I haven't seen where you got the information about HMS Leopard. But if you're interested in pursuing that, some of her movements at the relevant period are outlined here.
    I found the reference whilst looking at family trees on Ancestry to see if any had information on Henry.

HMS Leopard was mentioned as how Henry had arrived in Southwark in 1803 but there was nothing to support this, evidence wise.

I hadn't been able to find a marriage for Henry and Jane so thank you for finding Peter's record.

Lastly if Henry was in the Navy, why would he list himself as a mariner at his children's baptisms?

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    HMS Leopard was mentioned as how Henry had arrived in Southwark in 1803 but there was nothing to support this, evidence wise.
    It's puzzling, as one wouldn't normally arrive in Southwark in a 50-gun RN vessel. Maybe the story has been confused somewhere along the line? You might want to try contacting the tree-owner, especially as he/she may have some further details of Henry's service.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    Lastly if Henry was in the Navy, why would he list himself as a mariner at his children's baptisms?
    The term Mariner had general usage and wasn't necessarily restricted to the merchant service. I wouldn't want to read anything particular into its use in a baptism register.

At this period during the Napoleonic wars you would expect him to be serving in the RN, especially as he married in Plymouth. But the Greenwich Hospital records should throw some light.

RobinC

I've ordered the documents that you've found so hopefully should have some information shortly.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi

I'm not sure if you are already aware of it, but there is a Will for Henry, made while on Leopard:

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...&resultcount=1

Also this might be of interest:#

https://www.ageofnelson.org/MichaelPh...o.php?ref=1321

From this you will see that Leopard would have paid off the crew in 1803, when entering dock for repairs.

Martin

RobinC

I have bought the will of Henry and it confirms that Jane is his wife and although it doesn't mention any of their children, Jane was living at Crucifix Lane, Bermondsey Street, Southwark at the time.

Crucifix Lane is the abode given on the baptism record of their daughter Jane who was born in 1803 so this piece of the puzzle fits, however, their first daughter (Eleanor) was born in 1797 in Devon prior to their marriage.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast