Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by David R McKay View Post
    It was there that he married, either by regular marriage or by non-traditional marriage, Emma Hurst, [Hirst, Herst Hursh] about 1845.
    I can't find a marriage between a Robert McKay and Emma Hurst (including surname variants) in England/Wales and just in case I widened the date range to 1837-1851. Could they have married in Scotland or later in Ohio?

I presume this is the family in the USA census and I am certain you have this information already but I thought I would post it for other members to look at.

1850 US Census: (original image can be viewed on Family Search)
    Springfield, Clark, Ohio
    Robert Mckay 36, stonemason, born Scotland
    Emma Mckay 26, born Scotland
    William Mckay 4, born England

1860 US Census: (transcription from Family Search)
    Residence: Knox, Ohio
    Ward: Monroe Township
    R S Mc Kay, 47, born Scotland
    Emma Mc Kay, 37, born England
    Wm Mc Kay, 14, born England
    Eseck Mc Kay, 10 born Ohio
    Emma Mc Kay, 7, born Ohio
    Ann Mc Kay, 4, born Ohio
    Clara Mc Kay, 2, born Ohio

1870 US Census: (transcription from Family Search)
    Ohio, United States
    Robert Mckay 57, born Scotland
    Emma Mckay 41, born England
    William Mckay 24, born Ohio
    Erick Mckay 19, born Ohio
    Annie Mckay 12, born Ohio
    Clara Mckay 11, born Ohio

1880 US Census: (transcription from Family Search)
    Pleasant, Knox, Ohio
    Robert I. Mc Kay 63, head, stone cutter, born Scotland, mother and father's bp. Scotland
    Emma Mc Kay 54, wife, keeping house, born England, mother and father's bp. Scotland
    Annie Mc Kay 22, dau, at home, born Ohio, father's bp. England, mother's bp. Scotland
    Clara Mc Kay 20, dau, school teacher, born Ohio, father's bp. England, mother's bp. Scotland
    Robt. S. Mc Kay 8, nephew, born Ohio, father's bp. England, mother's bp. Ohio
    Geo. C. Mc Kay 7, grandson, born Ohio, father's bp. England, mother's bp. Ohio
    (Note: I suspect nephew Robt. S. Mc Kay is a grandson rather than nephew)

Some questions for you ...

Robert Stephenson McKay was born Freaserburgh, Aberdeenshire, Scotland Oct 31, 1813.
    Is this birth date and place from his death record? I can see death record for Emma on Family Search but not for Robert, although a tree on Ancestry has his death recorded as 28 Jun 1884 in Mount Vernon, Ohio.

He went to Manchester, England, 1836.
    Wondering how you know he went to Manchester in 1836.

I hope you don't mind these questions, even though I have found out nothing useful for you.

Have spent some time looking for Emma and I noticed these on Family Search ...

• Emma Mckay died on 28 Jun 1888 at Pleasant Township, Knox, Ohio. Age 60. Widowed. Birthplace Manchester, Eng.

• Clara J. Mckay died on 17 May 1939 at Mt. Vernon, Knox Co., Ohio. Single, age abt 80. Father Robert S. Mckay born Scotland. Mother Emma Hersch born London.

• Anna Reid Mckay died on 05 Dec 1917 at Mt. Vernon, Knox, Ohio. Birth date 08 Feb 1857. Father Robert S. Mckay born Aberdeen, Scotland. Mother Emma Hurst born Manchester, Eng.

• Erick Archibold Mckay died on 17 Dec 1914 at Scipio, Seneca, Ohio. Birth date 09 Sep 1849. Father Robert Mckay born Scotland. Mother Emma Hurse born England.

(Note: I haven't included all the details from the children's death records.)

Emma was born March 6 1825, (possibly 1827) Chorlton upon Medlock.
    However, I haven't had any luck finding Emma for sure in the 1841 census. I see from the above that Emma was very likely born in Manchester but what makes you sure it was specifically Chorlton upon Medlock?

David R McKay

Default Back Again For Help

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    I can't find a marriage between a Robert McKay and Emma Hurst (including surname variants) in England/Wales and just in case I widened the date range to 1837-1851. Could they have married in Scotland or later in Ohio?
    The only data I have on this couple is hearsay. Obits, Knox County Ohio History 1881 from a biography in Robert’s own words, and death certificates indicate they were married in England. I have searched records and have had professional genealogist search--no official records are to be found with one exception and that is son William’s birth records. It was registered in Manchester, and I have a copy of that.

I presume this is the family in the USA census and I am certain you have this information already but I thought I would post it for other members to look at.
    This is the family in the USA; however, some of the information is different than I have in my records. I have noted the areas of different information in bold.

1850 US Census: (original image can be viewed on Family Search) Springfield, Clark County, Ohio
    Robert McKay 36, stonemason, born Scotland
    Emma McKay 26, born Chorlton upon Medlock.
    William Mckay 4, born Manchester, England

1860 US Census: (transcription from Family Search)
    Residence: Knox, Ohio, Monroe Township
    R S McKay, 47, born Scotland
    Emma McKay, 37, born England
    Wm McKay, 14, born England
    Erick McKay, 10 born Ohio Born: Springfield, Ohio
    Emma McKay, 7, born Ohio Born: Springfield, Ohio
    Ann McKay, 4, born Mt Vernon , Knox County , Ohio
    Clara McKay, 2, born Mt Vernon , Knox County , Ohio

1870 US Census: (transcription from Family Search)
    Ohio, United States
    Robert Mckay 57, born Scotland
    Emma Mckay 41, born England
    William Mckay 24, born Manchester, Eng
    Erick Mckay 19, born Ohio
    Annie Mckay 12, born Ohio
    Clara Mckay 11, born Ohio

Daughter Emma died at 15 in 1868
    William's first wife died in 1875 leaving two small children

1880 US Census: (transcription from Family Search)
    Pleasant, Knox, Ohio
    Robert S. McKay 63, head, stone cutter, born Scotland, mother and father's bp. Scotland
    Emma McKay 54, wife, keeping house, born England, mother and father's bp. England
    Annie McKay 22, dau, at home, born Ohio, father's bp. Scotland, mother's bp. England
    Clara McKay 20, dau, school teacher, born Ohio, father's bp Scotland, mother's bp. England
    Robt. S. McKay 8, (grandson) born Ohio, father's bp. England, mother's bp. Ohio
    Geo. C. McKay 7, grandson, born Ohio, father's bp. England, mother's bp. Ohio
    (Note: I suspect nephew Robt. S. Mc Kay is a grandson rather than nephew) Correct

Some questions for you ...

Robert Stephenson McKay was born Freaserburgh, Aberdeenshire, and Scotland Oct 31, 1813.
    Is this birth date and place from his death record?
    No death record only mentions Scotland I can see death record for Emma on Family Search but not for Robert, although a tree on Ancestry has his death recorded as 28 Jun 1884 in Mount Vernon, Ohio.

He went to Manchester, England, 1836.
    Wondering how you know he went to Manchester in 1836.
    Robert’s biography in the 1881 History of Knox County states this information

I hope you don't mind these questions, even though I have found out nothing useful for you.
    It is appreciated. In fact I am considering a thread on the information on the Hurst/and variants spellings of the family name in Chorlton upon Medlock from 1800 to 1850. Do you think that this would be of value?
    Dave

I hope you don't mind Dave but I edited your post #13 and added quotes in order to differentiate between my questions and your replies. In some parts, I also replaced your [FONT="Arial Black"] with the forum code for bold as word processor code doesn't work on the forum.

In fact I am considering a thread on the information on the Hurst/and variants spellings of the family name in Chorlton upon Medlock from 1800 to 1850. Do you think that this would be of value?
    Yes, why not post; you have nothing to lose and something may be found out that will help you break this brickwall. Go for it!

Since this thread was originally about a place name and Dave now has a new thread on Emma Hurst and family, I am closing this thread. For anyone wishing to help, please use the new thread.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12