Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jan1954

Default Looking for Fanny WHITEMAN of Chelsea

During a lull at work today, I was chatting to a chap in the office. He was telling me that he had started following his family history back in the 1970s but family life got in the way about 10 years ago and so he had not picked it up since.

However, he was saying that he had one particular brick wall that had defeated him more than those 10 years ago and was still a mystery.......

A several great grandmother by the name of Fanny WHITEMAN was born about 1828 in Chelsea, according to various censuses. I do not have the references as he was working from his (pretty good) memory. However, he recalls that she was recorded as a needlewoman and that she had a few children in tow but with no discernible father for them – or fathers! The first census that he found her in was 1851, so any sighting of her in the 1841 census would be welcome as, at the age of 13 (or thereabouts) she could still be living with her parents, which would then provide a clue as to who they were.

He did find a baptism for a Fanny WHITEMAN where the father's occupation was that of a tailor. He was musing as to whether that could have instilled needlework skills in her or whether that occupation (needlewoman) could have been a euphemism for a prostitute – given the children and no marriage.

So, the question is: Can anyone find Fanny's parents with any degree of certainty?

Thank you for reading.

Lizzy9

Jan, help!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please. I cannot find Fanny Whitehead on ANY census. Are you sure the birth date/name is correct?

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzy9 View Post
    Jan, help!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please. I cannot find Fanny Whitehead on ANY census. Are you sure the birth date/name is correct?
    Erm... it is fanny Whiteman.

Lizzy9

Sorry Jan, a lack of concentration on my part BUT I was searching for Whiteman, and cannot find her. Do you have a ref from any census?

Knowledgeable and helpful Jellylegs's Avatar

Well Jan, I must be doing something wrong as I can't find an unmarried Fanny Whiteman born c. 1828 with kids in tow anywhere. Have searched using variants of both first name and surname; without surname and born Chelsea and with and without occupation needle*

There are several married ones, but have looked at so many now, that I can't remember if the other criteria fitted.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzy9
    Do you have a ref from any census?
    No, sorry. All of the information that the chap gave me is in the original post. He said that the paperwork was in boxes on top of his wardrobe. I will see if I can persuade him to have a rummage over the next few days. Thank you for looking.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Fanny Whiteman

We have the same Fanny Whitman in our Ancestry, please contact me to discuss, my email address is michaeldevine1AThotmailDOTcoDOTUK,thankyou.
    Last edited by christanel; 05-01-2016 at 9:33 PM. Reason: email address disguised to deter spam.

Hello and welcome to the British-Genealogy forums Devine12

I am sorry but the person who started this thread is no longer a member of Brit-Gen so will not receive notification of your post and cannot be contacted by private message.

If you need help researching Fanny Whiteman you could start your own thread giving all the information you have and telling us what you are looking for and I'm sure our helpful and knowledgeable members will see what they can find.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

I did find this 1851 census
    HO107 piece 1471 folio 69 page 27
    James Thatcher 38 married Annuitant driver(?) His place of birth written and crossed out the same as Frances'
    Frances Whiteman 28 unmarried, housekeeper. Place of birth was written as Chelsea which was crossed out and Lambeth Surrey written over the top.
    Edward Thatcher 15 son Chelsea
    Ellen C Thatcher 4 Months Fulham
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default looking for FANNY WHITEMAN

Thankyou for your information,it has taken many years of resurch ,and she is still a mystery!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast