Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Handford_K

Smile Handford family troubles

Hi
    I have been researching William Handford who was born 20 March 1839 South Molton, Devon. His mother was Mary Handford (no age)and no father was listed. Robert Carter the Master of the workhouse South Molton signed the birth certificate.

The 1841 Census has Mary as aged 23 and William aged 2

I have been unable to find any records of the inmates of South Molton and any further information on Mary after the 1851 Census which had the following details (Address: 51 'L___erson' (Name of House), Rackenford,Devon, England
    Handford, Mary, Servant, Age 34, Widow, House Keeper
    Born - Devon, Warley, England), even though she was listed as a widow, I believe this was incorrect.
    Her son William became an apprentice bootmaker which carried on when he came to Australia in 1887 with his wife Caroline (Voisey) and their children.

I thought it would be interesting to know more about William's apprenticeship and what happened to Mary and perhaps even who her parents were?

I can't seem to get any further than this

Hope some one can help

Brick wall demolition expert!

Hello Handford_K and welcome to the forum.

There will be a lot more members on the forum soon who I am sure will be happy to try and help. In the meantime, could you post the 1841 and 1851 census references for Mary and William HANDFORD. I think I may have spotted them in 1841 but I'm not sure about 1851.

Also, as a general first comment - I was wondering how you know that the Mary HANDFORD in Rackenford in 1851 is the same Mary as the one in the 1841 census?

Handford_K

Hi Olliecat
    The source citation for 1841 is - 1841 England Census Class: HO107; Civil Parish: South Molton; County: Devon; Enumeration District: 1; Page: 26; Line: 24 & 25.

As for 1851 for Mary it is - Class: HO107; Piece: 1891; Folio: 170; Page: 13.
    and for William - Class: HO107; Piece: 1891; Folio: 485; Page: 29.

I guess I am not 100% sure about 1851 for Mary

In 1861 for William - Class: RG9; Piece: 1486; Folio: 19; Page: 32.
    and 1871 - Class: RG10; Piece: 2180; Folio: 24; Page: 9.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Jan1954; 24-09-2011 at 5:59 AM. Reason: GSU roll numbers removed, which are copyright

A few possibles

Births Mar 1838
    Handford William Southmolton 10 197
    Births Mar 1839
    Handford William South Molton 10 203

Deaths Dec 1863
    Handford Mary S. Molton 5b 312

I would suggest ordering the birth certificates specifiying mothers name as Mary. If they don't match you get a reduced charge.

You should end up knowing Mary's maiden or marital status

Handford_K

Hi Raffaele,
    I have Williams Birth Certificate and his Mother's name is Mary Handford, no maiden name, no father. So I guessing William is an illegitimate child.
    Thanks for looking

That answers why you disbelieve the widow statement

What about this from the IGI

MARY ANN HANDFORD
    Christening: 18 JAN 1815 Rose Ash, Devon
    Father: WILLIAM HANDFORD Mother: MARY
    Batch C051581

Should read Rose Ash, South Moulton, Devon.

Coromandel

Hello Handford_K and welcome to the forum

Have you seen this earlier thread, also about a William Handford born in South Molton workhouse?

The 1851 census to which you refer is transcribed in post #4 of that thread (last transcript in that thread). I note that that William is described as grandson of the head of household, William Brailey. Have you investigated where the Brailey/Handford link comes in?

Confusingly there is another slightly older William Handford who was also an apprentice shoemaker in 1851, also born South Molton, who was with his grandparents too (see first 1851 census quoted in the aforementioned thread).

Handford_K

Hi Raffaele
    I don't believe this is the Mary I'm looking for as William's Birth Certificate did not state a middle name.
    I guess I don't know how common that is but thought being an official document it would have to have their correct name.

Handford_K

HI Coromandel
    I had seen the earlier thread, the person that posted it is my husband's cousin.
    I guess I wasn't convinced it was on the right track completely, even though I thought the 1851 census with the Brailey's may have been correct, because it matches in with his birth date.
    I haven't checked into how he is there grandson, perhaps that might help!!

I've just been looking through a number of trees for William Handford and Caroline Voisey. There seems to be an awful lot of conflicting information with respect to his parent(s).

May I ask if you have William's marriage certificate and his death certificate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast