Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Lizzy9

Hi green family,

Please can you say how you traced 'your' John Dinsdale back to Margaret Matson? The John Dinsdale son of Margaret Matson, nee Dinsdale was born ten years later than your chap. Your opening post says ........... 'Certified Copy Death Certificate :- John Thomas Dinsdale died 1927 age 65 years old, Whittle-le-Woods, Chorley' making him born 1862, John Dinsdale son of Margaret Matson was consistent throughout the census with a birth year of 1872.

Loves to help with queries

Hi Lizzy9
    All this information was a taboo subject from Jane Ellen and she would not discuss John after his death to her only son. We have just presumed the age on the Death Certificate is wrong covering a secret!
    We have done a 5 year scan on both sides of 1862 of every John Dinsdale on Find My Past. There were a few that were unmarried or widowed and we traced their family back to origin through the census, 1 which we thought was ours, a boot & shoe maker in Leeds brought up a middle name on his baptism - Arthur, not Thomas so had to be discounted. Ahhh!
    We then traced 10 years either side and found 167 names! We did the same kind of tracing as before all around the country and found only 1 John Thomas Dinsdale in Leeds 10 years younger, and a General Labourer out of work.
    We have done a complete census search of Whittle-le-Woods for 1911 and checked Lancashire and could not find him. We have him living in Whittle-le-Woods in 1918 on the Electoral Roll records and have both John and Jane Ellen together from 1919 to 1927 up to his death.
    The age difference between John and Jane Ellen Eastham was high - she was 29 at the alleged marriage and he would have been 56our new find fit the age better with a child born in 1919. On BMD we could not find a marriage of John Dinsdale to Jane Ellen Eastham.
    Our theory we have now, which we are not happy to believe (the secret) is that John left Leeds to avoid call-up during the war and moved to Lancashire and lied about his age making himself 10 years older and started work at the Birmingham and Leyland rubber factory in Leyland, Lancashire. Jane Ellen's older brother also worked at the same factory and where they were living was owned by the factory and rented out to the workers. The child was registered at her address and the informant on the certificate was John the father and was listed as living at a different address in Whittle-le-Woods, about 3 miles away.
    Once again thanks for taking the time to look at this,
    The Green Family

Lizzy9

Hi green family,

Have you considered the family secret may be - John Dinsdale was already married, which would explain why no marriage can be found between Jane Ellen Eastham and John Dinsdale?

Hi Lizzy9
    Yes, this had crossed our minds and we found 1 in Chorley and searched his family in Lancashire but we found him on the 1911 census far too young aged 22.
    We have checked the War records and cannot find him.
    The positive information we have is that he was on the Chorley Electoral Roll in 1918 and we can follow him through to his death, but that is the earliest we can prove. We can trace Jane Ellen Eastham's family way back.
    Thanks again
    The Green Family.

Hi,
    I have been To Chorley Library today searched through 1905 Electoral Polling book for Leyland and Whittle-le Woods, no "John Thomas Dinsdale", in fact no Dinsdale people at all listed, first and only John Thomas Dinsdale name listed in 1918 Electoral Polling Book.
    The Green Family

Conclusion to Post
    Found in Lancashire Records office today all the information I needed :-
    Jane Ellen Eastham did marry John Thomas Dinsdale in 1919, there was no registrar at the wedding, thats why no GRO records to find. Checked church record to confirm, also managed to find burial record at St John's church to confirm burial, Also found correct history of our John Thomas Dinsdale, infact he was from Sedberg in Yorkshire and was a Mineral Water Manufacuturer living at Whittle-le-Woods. Was on the wrong track with the guy in Leeds - so easy to get side tracked.
    Thanks for all the help
    The Green's Family.

Lizzy9

A great result, green family, but I wonder what the family secret is?

Hi Lizzy9
    Thank you for your help and interest in this matter. The secret was that she was not married at the time of her son's birth. She did marry the father 3 months later in 1919.
    The Green family.

doverrog

Probably a false lead, but I have a lot of Matson records based mainly around East Kent, so not your area, however I've checked and I have some names that match in New Zealand/Australia.
    Just a thought that could he have emigrated?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello Green Family,

This is such a long shot as i realise that your original post was from 2011!!!

But I am decendent from the same John Thomas Dinsdale! 1860 - 1927

And I think I may know his secret, if you don't know already, I believe that Jane Ellen Eastham was his third wife! and I am the decendent of the son from his first wife. If you get this please feel free to email me for more information as I would be interested in talking with you. sarahbrown1403AThotmailDOTco.uk

Hope to hear from you soon!

Sarah Maule
    Last edited by christanel; 16-06-2018 at 2:08 AM. Reason: email address disguised to deter spam

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast