Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Coromandel

On the 1891 census Walter Aspden senior is still with his wife Margaret; though they'd been married 5 years by then, there is no sign of any children.

From post #20 of the other thread, we know that Alfred Henry Aspden was born 8 August 1894. He was the son of Walter Aspden, billiard maker, and Barbara [Lacey] and his birth was registered as if they were married: so far no-one has found any sign of a marriage for Walter & Barbara. A baptism on FamilySearch shows that Eva Annie was also the daughter of Walter & Barbara.

The birth of Walter Frank Aspden was registered in 1892. To find out whether his mother was Margaret or Barbara (or even someone else!), you will need to get his birth certificate.

Walter senior and Barbara were still together on the 1901 census, but soon afterwards Barbara seems to have gone off and married someone else (see other thread). Then Walter senior married again in 1907 to Annie (maiden name Hollingworth). He and his new wife Annie had a daughter Jessie (see 1911 census).

I think they had at least three more children together. If you look on FreeBMD and search for Aspden births with mother's maiden name Hollingworth, you will find three birth registrations, in 1911, 1913, and 1916. I won't give the names of the older two, in case they're still alive. Sadly, it looks as if the youngest, Jack, died in the Second World War:

https://
    twgpp.org/information.php?id=818465

terrysfamily

Is this the Walter Frank Aspden we’re on about or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Births Mar 1893 Aspden Walter Frank Birkenhead 8a 499

Walter Frank Aspden, Male
    baptism/christening date: 16 Mar 1893, St Peter's, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
    birth date: 27 Dec 1893, Penrith St
    Father: Walter Lever Aspden, Mother: Baarbara Mildred
    indexing project (batch) number: C02436-5, source film number: 93906

Coromandel

Yes, that is the right one, Terry! Well spotted. So Barbara was Walter Frank's mother too.

P.S. Thought I was having a senior moment there, but it really does say 1892 on Cheshire BMD, which suggests they have records indexed by date of birth not date of registration (unlike GRO).

terrysfamily

Although, on failysearch they have his baptism some 9 months before he was born!

Coromandel

From the War Graves Project (see website address given at the end of post #11), Jack Aspden was in a Canadian regiment. I wondered when he had gone to Canada, so checked the Canada 1925-1935 immigration database at

https://www.
    collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/immigration-1925/index-e.html

I was surprised to find a 12 year old Jack Aspden arriving in Quebec on the 'Duchess of Athol' on 22 July 1928. His age would certainly fit, but is this the right boy? Could someone with access to images of the passenger lists check who he was with? Was this part of a child migration scheme?

terrysfamily

This is the only info I can find on any Walters brother Lever Aspden in England.

Births Mar 1898 Aspden Lever Morgan Birkenhead 8a 534

Looks like young Lever left for America.

Lever Aspden, Male
    Date of Arrival: 18 Nov 1917
    Age at Arrival: 19y (which would put birth 1898)
    Ethnicity: British English
    Port of Departure: Liverpool
    Port of Arrival: New York
    Ship of Travel: Baltic

Must have changed his mind

Marriages Jun 1922
    ASPDEN Lever M Caldwell Birkenhead 8a 1166
    CALDWELL Annie Aspden Birkenhead 8a 1166

terrysfamily

Wonder what Young Lever did for a living? He seemed to be traveling bacwards and forwards to America quite a lot.

Adding the info from the post above to set the timeline.

New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924

Lever Aspden, Male, Unmarried
    last place of residence: Liverpool, Eng
    date of arrival: 14 Aug 1917
    age at arrival: 20Y
    ethnicity: Britishh
    port of departure: Liverpool
    port of arrival: New York
    ship of travel: Baltic

Lever Aspden, Male
    date of arrival: 02 Oct 1917
    age at arrival: 19y
    ethnicity: British English
    port of departure: Liverpool

Lever Aspden, Male
    Date of Arrival: 18 Nov 1917
    Age at Arrival: 19y
    Ethnicity: British English
    Port of Departure: Liverpool
    Port of Arrival: New York
    Ship of Travel: Baltic

Lever Morgan Aspden, Male
    date of arrival:27 Feb 1918
    age at arrival:20y
    ethnicity:British, English
    port of departure:Liverpool
    port of arrival:New York
    ship of travel: Cedric

Lever Aspden, Male, Unmarried
    date of arrival:19 Apr 1918
    age at arrival:20y
    ethnicity:English, Gr Britain
    port of departure:Liverpool
    port of arrival:New York

There is also this one too, not sure if it is Lever Morgan though!

L.Aspden, Male
    date of arrival: 21 Nov 1918
    age at arrival: 20y
    ethnicity: British
    port of departure:Saint Nazaire, France
    ship of travel: Ulys

Coromandel

The index to Findmypast's new 'Merchant Navy Seamen 1918-1941' database has a 'Lenier' Morgan Aspden born about 1898 Birkenhead . . . and an Alfred Henry Aspden born about 1894 Southport.

I don't have a subscription to FMP so can't see what details are given in the full record.

terrysfamily

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    Sadly, it looks as if the youngest, Jack, died in the Second World War:

https://
    twgpp.org/information.php?id=818465
    Jack was also known as John

See here

https://www.
    veterans.gc.ca/eng/collections/virtualmem/detail/2331481

LANGO

Walter Frank Aspden is definitely my grandad.Born 1893.However I thought his mother was Margaret Ellis. Born 1886-died 1917.She married Walter Lever Aspden in 1886.As it now looks like something was going on between Walter Lever Aspden and Barbara Mildred Lacey,as my grandad was born 1893,Alfred Henry Aspden 1898 and Eva Annie in 1901.Walter Lever Aspden split up with Margaret in 1901 and moved in with Barbara Mildred lacey in 1901 although she left him in 1903 and married Joseph Hughes.Does this scenario seem to be accurate?Every day I seem to find new twists and turns.It's incredible!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast